Lester B. Pearson

by Alex M. from Toronto

The Peacekeeper

“Of all our dreams today there is none more important - or so hard to realize - than that of peace in the world. May we never lose our faith in it or our resolve to do everything that can be done to convert it one day into reality.” Lester B. Pearson

Heroes display courage, selflessness, responsibility, and compassion. They work for the good of other people, and truly contribute to society. Lester Bowles Pearson is a hero because of his work as a diplomat to make the world a safer place, as well as his time spent as a politician fighting to improve life in Canada and display our originality and unique culture. If the people of the world lived according to Pearson’s ideas, it would truly be a utopian society.

Pearson was born in 1897 in the province of Ontario. He excelled as a student, being he was elected to the Pi Gamma Mu social sciences honours society while at the University of Toronto, and he also earned a scholarship to attend Oxford University in England. Pearson was also an exceptional athlete, playing rugby and ice hockey in university, as well as playing semi-pro baseball during a summer. When WWI commenced, Pearson was too young to volunteer as a soldier, so instead he enlisted with the hospital service. Once he had reached of age, Pearson served as a flying officer before returning home because of injuries. After attending Oxford, Pearson worked as a professor at U of T.

In 1927, Pearson joined the Department of External Affairs, where he had a long and inspiring career. While working as a diplomat, Pearson was involved in the conferences that formed the United Nations and NATO. In 1948, Pearson was given a cabinet position in the federal government, as Minister of External Affairs. Pearson proposed and sponsored the creation of the United Nations Emergency Force, and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1957 for his work peacekeeping.

In 1958, Pearson won the leadership of the liberal party, and in 1963, he won the federal elections with a minority government. As Prime Minister, Pearson brought in many major social plans to improve life in Canada, despite never having a majority government. He introduced Universal Health Care, the Canada Pension Plan, and Canada Student Loans. As well, Pearson introduced the Canadian Flag, replacing the Union Jack of Great Britain with the Maple Leaf. Other accomplishments during Pearson’s time as Prime Minister include introducing the world’s first race-free immigration system, instituting changes that helped make women legal citizens, and creating a royal commission on Bilingualism. Pearson retired from politics in early 1968, and in 1972, at the age of 75, Pearson passed away.

Pearson is a hero because he worked to make the world a better place. He is considered the “Father of Peacekeeping” and justly so; his work with the UN, especially in resolving the Suez crisis, was done to benefit everyone, not just Pearson himself. He was an inspiration to people in everything he did, from his astonishing accomplishments academically to his astounding athletic ability. He excelled as a diplomat, and was very good at finding compromises that benefit both sides. His ideas and developments were designed to benefit not only himself, not only his nation, but the entire world. As Prime Minister, Pearson introduced bold plans that benefit all Canadians despite only having a minority government. This is evermore proof that Pearson’s ideas were beneficial to everyone, as he still won consent from the House of Commons despite not holding over 50% of the votes. His work as Prime Minister helped Canada become a true world-class nation, and made life for the average Canadian easier. As well, he lived honestly and is a role model for people looking for not only a prolific academic but also a person talented at everything from athletics to debating. May he rest in peace as one of the greatest politicians and diplomats in Canada’s history.

Nobel Prize Biographies
Wikipedia
Brainy Quotes
The MY HERO Gallery - For the digital art companion to this story - created by Alex M.