Lorraine Gillespie

by Carol from Rochester

My Lincoln Hero, Lorraine Gillespie, personifies many of Lincoln’s generous traits. I have read Lincoln possessed traits of integrity, compassion, perseverance and an unwavering commitment to the moral principle all people are created equal. People benefiting most from Lorraine’s efforts are individuals who due to age or lack of mental development are unable to tend to some of their most basic needs without assistance. Lincoln was resilient, able to spring back from failure and adversity. Resilient describes Lorraine perfectly. At 85 years of age, she lets none of her limitations stop her. During her years raising five children, Lorraine’s’ father died and her mother came to live with the family permanently. Never once was a nursing home discussed; she did what she needed to do and adjusted her life to accommodate them. This is prevalent in whatever Lorraine does. Even when she does not feel well, she ensures everything is in order to make sure others are taken care of. Like Lincoln, Lorraine has never really known a stranger because her life has touched everyone with who she has come in contact. Those who meet Lorraine benefit from having known her, whether it is a neighbor or a stranger in need of the uplifting spirit which Lorraine embodies.

Lincoln scholars said he had an ability “to connect emotionally with people inside the government and the public at large.” Lorraine served alongside many highly noted, respected Illinois politicians for 35 years. She was Executive Secretary, the number one “go-to” person for Lt. Governor Paul Simon, Lt. Governor Neil Hartigan, and Senate Presidents Phil Rock and Thomas Hynes. Although semi-retired by 1983, Neil Hartigan personally requested her as his Executive Secretary as he became the newly elected Attorney General.

Lorraine is a public volunteer of the highest caliber. Know for efforts she puts forth on behalf of others, opening her home for various activities and providing storage for materials used in some of those activities, she makes time to help others and is willing to go out of her way for others. She selflessly volunteers when others cannot or do not wish to perform. Lincoln also stepped up to the plate in a crisis. Lorraine always steps up to the plate, long before being asked. For 11 years, she volunteered at Memorial Hospital, both as a visitor and a Eucharistic minister. Lorraine coordinates Caregivers Interfaith Volunteers. Caregivers visit, take people to the doctor, grocery store, beauty shop, drug store or wherever the person needs. When there are times another caregiver is supposed to ‘do the books,’ but has a vacation planned or something come up in the family, Lorraine will simply, without reservation, offer to do it. Lorraine serves as Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Illinois Retired State Employees Association. She is an Alector (reader) at her church and has served as a chair of various committees for St. Louise DeMarillac Guild and as an officer of the Guild, which serves to poor and underprivileged.

Lorraine is a volunteer and past member of the Board of Directors for SPARC (Springfield Association for Retarded Citizens). For years she has volunteered to their annual Sugar n Spice night (putting in ten-hour days), helping to raise several thousands of dollars each year. She is a volunteer at Camp Care-A-Lot (a camp for financially underprivileged children age 6 to 10) where she has also been a “substitute grandmother.”

She is a 40-plus year member of the Fraternal Order of United Commercial travelers (UCT) of America, having served in numerous capacities, including local council president and state president, traveling throughout the state in support of program involving aid to the mentally handicapped, youth programs, cancer education and prevention, and scholarships for special education teachers. She has worked on their safety committee for several years, helping to set up and judge safety posters prepared by students at local schools and by clients at SPARC. Lorraine’s late husband Richard was always active in UCT, holding several posts. When Richard died, Lorraine stepped in to continue his efforts and legacy.

Finally, and perhaps most important, Lincoln’s ambitions were grounded in a desire to make the world a better place and accomplish something so worthwhile that he would not be forgotten. Lorraine Gillespie has served our community in many capacities for many years. She continues to be involved and has no intention of giving up her ability to help as long as she can.