Roberto Luongo

by Alyssa from Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada

Olympics Hero
Roberto Luongo Giving His Stick To A Fan. (www.canucks.com)

My hero is Roberto Luongo.
He is a goaltender for the Vancouver Canucks. He’s amazing at what he does. Most of all he’s always been kind to his fans, going out of his way to meet them and give them his stick.

My hero lives in Vancouver. Growing up in St-Leonard, an Italian community in Montréal, there were some activities that were inherent to the neighbourhood, like playing soccer in the surrounding park. Luongo grew up in a typical Italian household with his brothers Leo and Fabio. Roberto was the oldest of three boys. With both parents working full-time, he naturally fell into the protector role of his younger siblings becoming someone upon whom they could always depend and rely, a role that would later epitomize his career.

Luongo's first job was working at a shoe store. When Roberto was a teenager, his skills on the ice were becoming more recognized.

How old were you when you first started thinking that you really might be able to play in the NHL? He Says “I was about 15 years old, I was still bantam age, and I went to a midget AAA camp and I didn’t expect to make the team but I did end up making it. I think that’s when things really started to evolve for me."

Luongo loves playing hockey and being in front of a crowd. He says the hardest team to play against is the Nashville Predators because they are fast and they have guys that can score.

Luongo Winning The First Round Of The Play Offs. (Canucks.com)

Last spring he was married to his beautiful wife, Gina. Luongo is a regular in the line-up for the Canadian national team, usually playing a backup role to Martin Brodeur. He has played in four World Championships, winning two gold and a silver, he was also on the Canadian team which won the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, and he was selected for the 2006 Winter Olympic Games. Roberto Luongo is my hero for always being there for the Vancouver Canucks and for taking them far into the playoffs.