Press_Release

My Hero's Relationships First Award Goes To A Story Of A Man And His Dog

photo courtesy of the Human Society of Silicon Valley - Mutual Rescue: Eric & Peety
CONTACT: Wendy Milette      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Media
[email protected]
949-376-5964
myhero.com/winners

MY HERO'S RELATIONSHIPS FIRST AWARD GOES TO A STORY OF A MAN AND HIS DOG

SANTA MONICA, CA 11/23/16 – “MUTUAL RESCUE: ERIC AND PEETY," a short film by the Humane Society of Silicon Valley, is winner of The Relationships First Award, a $1,000 cash prize presented by the Foundation for the Contemporary Family. The annual award is given to a film that conveys the power and tenderness present in modern day family relationships.

The film tells the story of 51-year-old Eric O'Grey, a 340-pound man, diagnosed, six years ago, with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and Type II diabetes.  His doctor told him he had only 5 years to live. Then, he adopted Peety from the Humane Society of Silicon Valley and everything changed.
Judy Anderson, founder of The Foundation for the Contemporary Family, presented the award Saturday, November 19th, at The MY HERO International Film Festival Awards Ceremony in Santa Monica. 

“The whole point of the award is to choose a film that conveys, in an innovative way, the power and poingancy of relationships,” said Anderson. “This is the first time we’ve had a film in the contest that shows a relationship between a man and a dog, as the chosen relationship. This film shows how human-animal relationships can be as important and valuable as human-human relationships.”

Anderson is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at the University of California, Irvine College of Medicine. She created the Foundation for the Contemporary Family in 2000 to develop and support advances in clinical training and research for couples and family therapy. Anderson established the Relationships First Award to encourage filmmaking that explores healthy relationships.  She applauds "MUTUAL RESCUE: ERIC AND PEETY" for looking at relationships from a unique perspective. 
Watch MUTUAL RESCUE: ERIC AND PEETY, and other winning films, at myhero.com/winners

Submissions are being accepted for the 2017 MY HERO International Film Festival. For more information, email [email protected] or visit www.myhero.com/filmfestival.