Maya Angelou

by Georgia from San Diego

(Huffington Post ())
(Huffington Post ())

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style." Maya Angelou was born Marguerite Johnson in St. Louis, Missouri, on April 4, 1928. She was known as an author, poet, historian, songwriter, playwright, dancer, stage and screen producer, director, performer, singer, and civil rights activist. Maya had a childhood filled with misfortunes and adversity. She challenged her feelings into her work to create strong works of art. Angelou wrote several volumes of poetry that explored the South, racial confrontation, and the triumph of black people against overwhelming odds. She also worked to bring more realistic portrayals of African Americans to film and television screens. Angelou's contributions to the civil rights movement earned her the Presidential Medal of Freedom- the highest civilian award of the United States. She was respected as a representative for black people and women. Maya Angelou is considered a hero because she was inspiring, passionate, and impactful.

Young Angelou  ( (Huffington Post))
Young Angelou ( (Huffington Post))

Through Angelou's words and actions, she has made a lasting impact on the world. Angelou dreamed of a colorful society where everyone has the same opportunities. She never stopped working hard to make her dreams a reality. For example, "...she has been nothing less than a pioneer for women of color" (Gale). Angelou paved the road for many aspiring colored artist. Her influences broke racial barriers and proved how capable a women of color can be. Her efforts to bring more color into media showed to be successful. Not only did she leave a profound mark on the art industry, but as well as influencing young minds facing adversity.

Angelou's works target every aspect of life that we all look to for guidance. Her words continue to leave an impact on us. Tyler Perry captures her life perfectly here, "Her words inspired peace and equality and enriched the culture of our country. We are grateful for the work she leaves behind, and we wish her the peace she always sought." (Perry). Throughout her life, she reached for peace and equality. She took on the noble quest of making a difference in this world regardless of the hardships that faced her. Without any motive of getting recognition, she worked hard to accomplish her goals and fight for what she believed was right. Maya Angelou was a very impactful woman. She left an imprint on the minds of anyone going against adversity.

Angelou, 1990 Commencement  (NCSU Library ())
Angelou, 1990 Commencement (NCSU Library ())

Angelou had a fiery spirit that enabled her to reach for her goals. She was filled to the brim with passion. She did everything with complete passion and confidence. Her spirit was a fire and her works the kindle. Maya Angelou herself has input on what it is to be passionate. "Life is going to give you just what you put in it. Put your whole heart in everything you do, and pray, then you can wait" (Angelou). Angelou tells us directly that if you want to achieve, then put everything you have into whatever you do. She reminds us to live a life filled with passion. Angelou practices what she preaches. This can be seen through all of her works which  are filled with passion about change, love, life, and everything in between. To all of those who knew her, Angelou can be described as a fervent outspoken woman. Following her death, many people spoke of her liveliness and great accomplishments. President Barack Obama shared his thoughts, "She moved through the world with unshakeable calm, confidence and a fierce grace  I loved her and I know she loved me. I will profoundly miss her.  She will always be the rainbow in my clouds" (Obama). This quote perfectly conveys how Angelou lived her life. She was an ardent independent woman with the strength of a bull. She did everything with complete passion and confidence. Her spirit was a fire and her works the kindle. Despite all of the roadblocks that insisted Maya fail, she never stopped to reach her goal. Angelou believed in being kind and doing what is right. She passionately loved the world around her even if it didn't treat her so well. To many of us, Angelou was and will continue to be the rainbow in our clouds.

Angelou in thought ((Ebony))
Angelou in thought ((Ebony))

Maya Angelou is considered a phenomenal women because of her constant ability to inspire others. In Angelou's autobiography, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, she relates to how she endured all of the afflictions that came her way. She uses her own personal background to inspire us to be strong and push through life with confidence. "Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between" (Angelou). She taught us to be solid through any tribulation and to never falter. She taught that all you can really do is stay positive and don't let the bad things get in your way.  Angelou encouraged minds to  reach for our goals and fill our full potential. In an interview with Maya Angelou she reveals her thoughts on what it means to be a leader. "A leader sees greatness in other people. You can't be much of a leader if all you see is yourself. Only equals make friends. A man or woman who sees other people as whole and prepared and accords them respect and the same rights has arranged his or her own allies" (Angelou). Angelou explains that a leader must follow the guidelines of equality. A leader is never a dictator, but an equal willing to take charge. With these words she inspires Angelou inspires us all to be true leaders. She aimed for a better future and inspired others to reach as high as she did. Angelou encouraged minds to  reach for our goals and fill our full potential.  She taught us to be strong through any situation and to never falter.

Angelou 2014 ((poets.com))
Angelou 2014 ((poets.com))

Angelou continues to inspire not only women of color, but the world as a whole. Even after her death, she continues to inspire people. She shone the light of peace and equality. Her poetry, writing, speeches and lectures have shone a light on the struggles of life. She has framed hope for younger generations through bravery and passion. She was the voice of colored people everywhere. Although she has passed, she has left us with her timeless works of art.  Angelou will always be remembered for her endless passion, inspiring words, and impactful actions.

Works Sited

Angelou, Maya. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. New York: Random House, 1970. Print

Duke, Alan. "'Phenomenal Woman': Maya Angelou Remembered by Those She Inspired." CNN. Cable                  

News Network, n.d. Web. 05 May 2016. http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/maya-angelou-death-

reaction/

"Maya Angelou." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, 02 May 2016. Web. 02 May 2016.

http://www.biography.com/people/maya-angelou-9185388

"Maya Angelou." Contemporary Black Biography. Vol. 15. Detroit: Gale, 1997. Biography in Context.

Web. 2 May 2016

Beard, Alison. "Life's Work: An Interview with Maya Angelou." Harvard Business Review. N.p., 01        

May 2013. Web. 05 May 2016. . ) https://hbr.org/2013/05/maya-angelou

"Maya Angelou." Poets.org. Academy of American Poets, 13 July 2012. Web. 02 May 2016.

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/maya-angelou

"Maya Angelou." Women Filmmakers & Their Films. Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 29 Apr.

2016.