Mahatma Gandhi

by Avani Shah

Mahatma Gandhi and Abraham Lincoln shared many of the same incredible characteristics of a hero. Abraham Lincoln was a very honest man. A hero has to be an honest person because if a hero isn't honest then no one would be able to trust him/her because they would not be able to know if they are telling the truth. Abraham was always an honest man. Once he accidentally short-handed a lady on her tea and walked many miles to give her the small bag of tea that he short-handed from her. Being honest makes Abraham Lincoln a hero because not everyone would have walked many miles just to give a woman a small bag of tea. Being honest got Lincoln the trust from millions of people, without him being honest he wouldn't have been able to do the amazing actions that he did for our country.

Abraham Lincoln was amazingly brave, enjoyed helping anyone who needed help, and he fought for the freedom. A hero needs to be brave because if they're not than they would not be able to help people the way heroes do. Lincoln was one of the bravest; he risked his life and fought for freedom. He stood up what he believed and stopped slavery for good. Being brave makes Lincoln a hero because he changed this country and made it better for everyone. Abraham Lincoln fought for the freedom we have today.

Mahatma Gandhi (also known as Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi) is similar to Abraham Lincoln in numerous ways. Mahatma Gandhi was a very brave person; he would keep trying no matter what. He risked his life for independence. Gandhi led Indians in the Non-corporation movement in 1922 and in protesting the British-imposed salt tax with the 400 km (249 mi) Dandi Salt March in 1930, and later in calling for the British to Quit India in 1942. He was imprisoned for many years, on numerous occasions, in both South Africa and India. He fought for the freedom that India has today; he believed in non-violence and applied it to the political party. He helped the government during the time when the British had taken over India. Mahatma Gandhi was the most honest man I know, Gandhi dedicated his life to the wider purpose of discovering truth. He tried to achieve this by learning from his own mistakes and conducting experiments on himself. He studied to become a lawyer but this changed after he went to South Africa.

Both Abraham Lincoln and Mahatma Gandhi are very brave. Abraham Lincoln stood up for what he believed in and brought freedom to this country. Mahatma Gandhi walked 249 miles to stop salt taxes. They are both honest because Abraham Lincoln always told the truth and Mahatma Gandhi dedicated his life to always telling the truth and being honest. They both also fought for freedom for their countries. Abraham Lincoln got us the freedom we have now and stopped slavery. Mahatma Gandhi fought for freedom for India and stood up for his country.

Without Mahatma Gandhi's amazing efforts, India would not have been able to be the free country that it is today. If he hadn't done the astonishing actions that he had done than my family and I would still be in India and be under the unfair treatment and government of the British.

People should try to be more like Mahatma Gandhi and Abraham Lincoln because being like them would make them a remarkable person. Mahatma Gandhi spent his life encouraging people to be honest and non-violent. Being honest could help them gain trust from plenty of people and telling one lie just makes you tell more lies to cover up the first one so you might as well tell the truth from the beginning and be honest. Being brave can help you get far in life because if you aren't brave you would not be able to face the challenges that life throws at you, you will never be able to stand up and believe in what you think is right because you don't think others will like it. Being brave can really boost up your self confidence. You have to be brave. So always tell the truth and be brave and you can be someone else's hero!