ARTIST HERO:
MATT GROENING
by Emilio from California

Matt with Bender from Futurama (http://www.seanconnolly.co.uk/matt_with_bender.jpg)

My hero is no other than American cartoonist Matt Groening. He is best known as the creator of the long running prime- time animated show, The Simpsons, and Futurama. He is also the author and creator of his famous comic-strip called Life in Hell. Matt Groening was born on Feburary 15, 1954, in Portland, Oregon in the U.S, he was the middle child of five children. His mom was a teacher, and his father who was a film maker, an advertiser, a writer and a cartoonist! Matt never liked school when he was a little boy. He was like Bart Simpson, until he realized that if he wanted to get a job, he had to go to school first.

During his late years, Matt attended The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. What brought Matt Groening to cartoons was him watching 101 Dalmatians. Groening then graduated from college, and left to Los Angeles to find a job. Matt Groening had luck finding a job, he became a writer and started to work for T.V Guide magazine, but wasn't good enough so he left. He started writing books and came up with a comic strip called Life in Hell, which was based on the life of Matt when he was in L.A. The comic-strip was a hit! And his career grew famous.

Life in Hell caught the attention of film maker James L. Brooks. Brooks contacted Matt, to do a future animation project. Matt got the job and was in a hurry to come up with a cartoon show. Matt just drew and came up with the Simpsons in just ten minutes. The Simpsons were a hit on the Tracy Ullman Show, until FOX gave the Simpsons their very own prime-time show. The show was growing popular until today where they are still making new episodes every Sunday night at 8:00. Time and Entertainment Weekly call The Simpsons the best show in the 20th Century.

The Simpsons is still a great show today and has been for nearly 20 years - especially the actors who voice the characters. Dan Castellaneta portrays the voice of Homer Simpson, Julie Kavner portrays the voice of Marge, Nancy Cartwright portrays the voice of Bart, and Yeardley Smith portrays the voice of Lisa. These people had gotten Emmy awards for their voices for this funny family. I think the Simpsons will be a success during the future. I don't know how they do it, making almost 419 episodes! I think because they hire good writers, and with good writers it makes the story more funny. The Simpsons are different than in the past years, but now it's newer, with newer stuff, like cell phones or cars, and other stuff like that.

When I grow up I want to become a cartoonist just like Matt with making my own family, drawing and coming up with family problems. Today, Universal Studios is opening the new Simpsons ride! It will be open on May 19, 2008! Don't miss it! So this has been my hero, Matt Groening. Hope you enjoyed!

Written by Emilio from California

Matt Groening Interview from Smithsonian.com

More Featured Writer Heroes