Muhammad Ali

by Garrett from Saddle River

Picture of Young Champion, Muhammad Ali (http://projects.latimes.com/hollywood/star-walk/muhammad-ali/ (Associated Press ))

Muhammad Ali is my hero because he is persistent, thoughtful and brave.  Ali was born on January 17, 1942, making him 71 years old today.  He was born in Louisville, Kentucky.  Ali started boxing at the age of twelve, and didn't stop until he could not physically box any longer.  Ali was trained by a police officer named Joe Martin.  Martin trained him after Ali's bike was stolen and he wanted to beat up the thief.  He knew right away that he could be a good boxer but he had to train hard and be persistent.

Muhammad Ali was thoughtful because he cared about other people's rights, and showed this by fighting for them.  This showed that he also cared about other people in general, not just himself.  He was selfless.  Ali fought for civil rights like so many other people including Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi, Rosa Parks, Abraham Lincoln, and many more!  He also helped millions of black people around the United States.  He believed in having freedom and equality for all people around the United States no matter what color or race they were.  He did all of this while maintaining a smooth and successful boxing career.

Ali was persistent in many ways.  He showed this characteristic by never stopping his practicing, even during a three-year suspension.   Another example of him being persistent and brave was that, as a black boxer at that time, he was put down because of his race.  He never stopped, even when the odds were against him.  He dared to challenge the laws of civil rights. Boxing is a game of strength, and white people thought that black people were weak.  Ali proved them wrong.  He conquered all his opponents in this game of strength by being the best.  By doing this he proved many things including that whites and blacks are equal in every way.

Muhammad Ali was brave because he never gave up on doing the things he loved to do, he kept fighting for freedom and equality. He was very brave for fighting in a game he could seriously be hurt in. He was brave for just fighting in general, this is a sport were strength is tested, and he had a lot of bravery and strength. This is the reason I think Muhammad Ali is brave.

In conclusion, Muhammad Ali is my hero for all the reasons I have mentioned.  He fought hard his entire life to be the best, in and out of the ring and for others who could not fight for themselves.  His effort and heart were great examples of what the United States was and is supposed to be: a free country with equality for all!