Bob Marley

by Moea from Villeurbanne

'Bob Marley, great star of reggea music'

Bob Marley is a singer who fought against oppression, injustice and discrimination all his life. He was born in Jamaica and grew up in a poor place filled with misery and crime.

Since he was young, he decided to express his ideas through music. He quickly began to release records and was the ambassador of reggea music, which was, thanks to him, linked with the Rasta religion. I admire him because he managed to show to people all over the world significant problems, especially about black rights, like racism and slavery, just with strong messages in his songs.

He had to isolate himself from the rest of world to find his path and really follow Rasta community, based on strong solidarity and the belief in the importance of a spiritual strength.

Furthermore, Bob Marley managed to find stability: he wasn't an extremist and never used violence to defend his ideas, only great songs which were famous all over the world. His records won awards, two of which were recognized in the USA ('Rastaman vibration' and 'Uprising'). He was deeply rewarded for his good deeds and obtained the 'Third World Peace Medal' in 1978. Bob Marley never gave up this fight and when he knew he was terminally ill because of brain cancer, he wholly devoted himself to poor people until the end.

He is famous all over the world and is considered as the 'great star of reggea music.' He had a short but intense and very significant life for the peace of the world. The day of his burial, thousands of fans and important people were there to mourn this unforgettable artist.

Bob Marley - His life and influence (Wikipedia)
Bob Marley - Mondomix - All Colours of Music