Neil Armstrong

by Eunji from San Diego

Neil Armstrong (http://www.spacefacts.de/more/astronauts/page/armstrong_neil.htm)

“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” This quote and its speaker will live ad infinitum. At first, it was thought to be impossible for a human being to walk on the moon, but Neil Armstrong defied that accepted knowledge. The quote signifies how to him, a man, that step was literally small, but the trip to the moon brought about a significance to the history of mankind. Neil Armstrong, best known for being the first man on the moon, will always be a hero to many as a constant reminder that nothing in this world can be deemed as impossible. He also inspired many people to commit themselves to their choices, and to keep working the hardest they can for their dreams.

Neil Armstrong in Band Uniform (http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry-images.php?rec=1817)

Armstrong was born on August 5, 1930 on his grandparent’s farm in Auglaize County, Ohio. His love for flying was spurred on a Ford Tri-Motor at the age of six; he started to take plane lessons at the age of fourteen, receiving his flying license after two years of hard work. He then entered Purdue University on a U.S. Navy scholarship, and was sent to Korea during the Korean War. After his return from Korea, he finished college with a degree in aeronautical engineering in 1955. Armstrong married his wife, Janet Shearon, a year later. He decided to go through astronaut training soon after he graduated. He was then selected to become a command pilot for the Gemini 8 mission, and then chosen to become the commander of the Apollo 11. On July 20, 1969, he successfully landed the Apollo 11 spacecraft. After coming back to earth, he received many awards, became a member of many boards, and taught at the University of Cincinnati for seven years in aerospace engineering. He now lives on his farm at Lebanon, Ohio and makes public appearances at the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum.

Neil Armstrong (http://www.nisd.net/ward/Staff/gt_page/gt_page_08_09/space_hotlist/space_hotlis_index.htm)

Neil Armstrong defied the impossibility that people believed in by walking on the moon. He made something that was thought impossible become possible. After Neil Armstrong returned back to Earth, he publicized, “‘I believed that a successful lunar landing could, might, inspire men around the world to believe that impossible goals were possible, that the hope for solutions to humanity’s problems was not a joke” (“One small step’: Neil Armstrong and Apollo 11) Armstrong himself believed that this impossible journey would forever change the minds of people throughout the world. He believed that he could change the impossible. During this time period, everybody was indulged into the thought that it was impossible for a person to step onto the moon, much less stay there for a few hours and collect samples. However, Neil Armstrong opposed that thinking and proved to the world that there is nothing that cannot be achieved in this world. As Oberg said, “The contrast between what he had just done physically and the leap he had made metaphorically was astronomical in scale” (Oberg) The step that Armstrong took on the moon emphasizes the importance of that mission to the world of astronomy and science as we know it today. That step, physically, was nothing of importance because everybody takes many steps in a day, but this step signified something more than just a way of transportation. It signified how much humans evolved in the years and achieved dreams we never would have thought of many years ago. Thanks to Armstrong, the world understands that nothing is impossible in this time and age.

Neil Armstrong in Parade (http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry-images.php?rec=1817)

Another reason why Armstrong is considered a hero is because of his strong commitment to everything he does. An example of strong commitment is when Armstrong commented during an interview he took while training to become an astronaut. He proclaimed, “I rule out the possibility of agreeing to go up if I thought I might not come back, unless it were technically indispensable. Dying in space or on the moon is not technically indispensable and consequently if I had to choose between death while testing a jet and death on the moon, I’d choose death while testing a jet” (“Neil Alden Armstrong”). Although Armstrong was thoroughly uncomfortable during his training, he still did not quit in the midst of his training. Instead, he sought this astronaut training to the end and from that, he succeeded as an astronaut. It could have been much easier on him if he had quit the training and continued as a pilot instead, but he chose to stay committed to the choice he made in attending this astronaut training. Another incredible example of him committing to his choices is when “Neil Armstrong narrowly escaped death during training in the crash of a Lunar Landing Research Vehicle on May 6, 1969” (Stathopoulos). A near death experience would discourage most from continuing their training. However, Armstrong refused to give up during his training, but instead, remained steadfast in his training to become an astronaut. This proves that he would put anything on the line—even his life—for his commitment to anything he approaches. Armstrong’s commitment is one of the many traits that made him a hero to many in the world.

Lastly, Armstrong inspired millions across the world to work hard for their goals. During the Gemini 8 mission, the landing ended in pandemonium and chaos. However, Armstrong restrained his panic and acted in a professional manner that impressed many. As all this took place, “His cool and professional conduct made a strong impression on the officials of the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston” (Neil Alden Armstrong). He worked to make that mission a success, but during the landing, pandemonium struck. However, Armstrong did not give up and continued to try. As a result, the landing ended successfully. Because he worked to the extent of his powers, his superiors noticed and were impressed with his endurance. The way people were inspired was because Armstrong was chosen as commander mostly by chance, but his superiors were also impressed with his leadership and his hard work, so it gave him an advantage over most. Another example is when he came back from Korea and finished school. “Armstrong returned to Purdue and completed a degree in aeronautical engineering in 1955” (Neil Alden Armstrong). He came back from a war but, he was still bent on finishing his school career. Regardless of the years of education he missed being in Korea, he completed college. Not only that, but he completed a degree in aeronautical engineering. His hard work and patience spurred him to go further and now, he lives a comfortable life on his farm. His hard work that he practiced in his life influenced others in the world to be like him as well.

Neil Armstrong was a man of great influence to the world. He defied the accepted fact that nobody can go on the moon. He helped the world understand that nothing is impossible in this era. He committed himself to everything he did and would not take the easy route out by quitting, but instead, stood by his choice until the end. He also influenced the world to work their hardest in whatever they do. That they could reach their goals as long as they tried their best to accomplish those goals. Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, will be forever remembered in this world as a great hero.

I am a ninth grader at Del Norte High School and am writing this essay to show how Neil Armstrong influenced many others to follow in his footsteps.