Norman Rockwell

by Arjun from DuBois

The secret to so many artists living so long is that every painting is a new adventure. So, you see, they're always looking ahead to something new and exciting. The secret is not to look back.
Norman Rockwell (posterlovers.com)
Norman Rockwell (posterlovers.com)

Norman Rockwell was a great influence on American history and culture. I did research on this hero in, “Biography Today.” This well recognized artist helped American culture evolve and advance through his lifetime by putting a political and life message in almost every one of his drawings/paintings.

The great man, Norman Rockwell, had a humble start to his life and amounted to so much. Norman Percival Rockwell was born on February 3, 1894, in the back bedroom of a small apartment in New York City. Norman Rockwell was named after an English ancestor on his mother’s side of the family, Sir Norman Percevel. As a child Norman Rockwell already preferred an open carefree way of life, so he chose the country to the city which thought was dirty, ugly, and full of drunks and thieves. Even though he objected, the Rockwell family lived in New York City, of all places. His parents, J. Warning Rockwell and Nancy (Hill) Rockwell, had two sons Jarvis and Norman Rockwell. J. Warning Rockwell managed a textile firm in New York City. That beginning was vital to his success as an artist and a person.

Norman Rockwell (trojanhorse.com)
Norman Rockwell (trojanhorse.com)

His Schooling did not help his career very much but it helped him blossom into the person he was then. He went to school in the outskirts of New York City. In his sophomore year in Mamoroneck High School, he dropped out to go to art school in New York City. His schooling was vital to his growth as a person.

From the time he was born Norman Rockwell always had a knack for drawing; this talent would carry him through the years of his life and cause many great success stories. The more Norman drew the more he liked it. As an adult Norman continued to draw, it was not until an old classmate told him to submit his work to the “Saturday Evening Post” that he shared his work with the world. They liked it and accepted it; any artist to land a cover with the Post was considered a success. Norman would go on and create 321 covers with the Post over 47 years! His other assignments included a few covers for, “Boy’s Life.” Norman Rockwell received the Silver Buffalo award from the Boy Scouts of America and he received the highest civilian award, The Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977. Norman amounted to so much in his career because of his humble beginning.

Norman Rockwell always gave people something to think about, especially on Saturday evenings when they looked at the Post. As they say all good things must come to an end, Norman Rockwell died in his Stockbridge home on November 8, 1978 at the age of 84. Norman has left an everlasting impression on how and why we see things the way we do.