Oprah Winfrey

by Anisa from San Diego

Oprah Winfrey ()https://www.emaze.com/@ACFTOWTR/Oprah-Winfrey)

"Do you have any idea how much Oprah makes this days? Oprah Winfrey makes a whopping $300 million per year, hosting her show. Yes, around $1 million per day. Oprah has a net worth of $2.9 billion dollars. You know what that makes her? Makes Oprah one of the most powerful and influential women on planet Earth."(Oprah Winfrey Salary). How might one accomplish that? Oprah Winfrey was not always given the easy way in or out of things; she worked hard for all of her accomplishments. Winfrey built herself up to a one-woman media empire. Her past brought her to where she is today. Although she struggled in her early life with sexual abuse, family, and critics, it made her a strong independent woman that now many look up to. Oprah Winfrey is a hero for her dedication, generosity, and her attributes for inspiring others.

Due to her strong work ethic and dedication, Winfrey was able to build herself up to the inspiring woman she is today. After an incident with a job she was given, people recognized how determined she was and were inspired. "When she graduated in 1976, she went to Baltimore to become a reporter and co-anchor at ABC affiliate WJZ-TV. The station sent her to New York for a beauty overhaul, which Winfrey attributes to her assistant news director's attempt to "make her Puerto Rican" and from an incident when she was told her "hair's too thick, nose is too wide, and chin's too big." (Oprah Gail Winfrey). The New York salon only made things worse by giving her a bad permanent, leaving her temporarily bald and depressed. Winfrey comforted herself with food; so began the weight problem that became so much a part of her persona."(Oprah Gail Winfrey). Winfrey had been criticized by others for the way she looked, also for the way she did not look. They made her feel as if she didn't meet up to their expectations. From then Winfrey started to let it affect her and became depressed - but not for long. After the incident, she decided to move on and forget about the ones who brought her down. "Winfrey moved to Chicago in January 1984 and took over as anchor on A.M. Chicago. In September 1985 the program, renamed the Oprah Winfrey Show, was expanded to one hour. Consequently, Donahue moved to New York" (Oprah Gail Winfrey,) Winfrey packed her things and left for something greater. She left behind all the negativity and was ready to pursue what she believed in. Winfrey went to Chicago and first started as an anchor. Who knew that would have led her to where she is today? The program was renamed the Oprah Winfrey Show because of her hard work and ability to attract more viewers. Although Winfrey didn't have the best support, she put her determination into her work and became who she is today.

Oprah's Book Club ( ()ray! Here's your new citation:

Winfrey's generous and positive mindset gave people support and hope that they can accomplish so much, despite their past. The growth Oprah Winfrey has shown is incredible from where she started, which gave hope to others for their futures. "Winfrey has used her popularity and influence to advocate for political causes as well. In 1991 the tragic story of a four-year-old Chicago girl's molestation and murder prompted Winfrey, a former abuse victim, to propose federal child protection legislation, designed to keep nationwide records on convicted abusers. She did this with the help of former Illinois Governor James Thompson. In addition, Winfrey pursued a ruling that would guarantee strict sentencing of individuals convicted of child abuse. The result was a bill signed by President Clinton that allows child care providers to check the background of prospective employees." (Oprah Winfrey"Business) Oprah Winfrey has given us a reason to believe she has used her fame and fortune for good. She was told about the case which involved a young girl being sexually abused and murdered and Winfrey immediately made her mark. She made sure situations like that would not be tolerated again with having a bill signed by President Clinton. She gave her insight and made a difference on her beliefs. Oprah contributes herself to helping others and bringing people together. "The media giant contributed immensely to the publishing world by launching her "Oprah's Book Club," as part of her talk show. The program propelled many unknown authors to the top of the bestseller lists and gave pleasure reading a new kind of popular prominence." (Oprah Winfrey "Bio) Winfrey gave her viewers a chance to try something different that they will enjoy, She started something that didn't have a lot of attention brought to it. She gave her time and effort to have people step out of their comfort zone and bond over the same thing. Oprah Winfrey has given hope, support, and awareness to many through her accomplishments and positive mindset.

Oprah on the cover of her magazine  (https://www.pinterest.com/mimspinner/mag-cover-shoot/ ())
Oprah on the cover of her magazine (https://www.pinterest.com/mimspinner/mag-cover-shoot/ ())

Oprah Winfrey is a hero for her dedication, generosity, and her attributes to inspiring others. Oprah Winfrey was an inspiration to others because not only did she want to accomplish her dreams but she wanted others to achieve their goals and follow her footsteps. She was determined to build herself up into the one-woman media empire she is today. Her generosity has been shown through her actions and has affected others for the greater. "Oprah Winfrey is one of the most famous woman in America, and one of the richest. With her own top-ranked talk show, production company, magazine, and a large interest in the Oxygen cable channel, Winfrey is a one-woman media empire." (Oprah Winfrey "Contemporary) Oprah Winfrey has brought so much awareness to the idea of being able to do whatever you set your mind to. She has been an inspiration to millions and has showed people how a rough start can lead to a greater ending. Winfrey's accomplishments in life proves her determination to succeed and her generous traits encourage others to be great.

Work Cited

"Oprah Winfrey." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 04 May 2016.

"Oprah Winfrey." Business Leader Profiles for Students. Ed. Sheila Dow and Jaime E. Noce. Vol. 1.

Detroit: Gale, 1999. Biography in Context. Web. 2 May 2016.

"Oprah Winfrey." Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale, 2015. Biography in Context. Web. 27 Apr.

2016.

"Oprah Gail Winfrey." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 2

May 2016

"Oprah Winfrey Salary (Oprah Net Worth) | How Much Money They Make."How Much Money They

OPRAH - OPRAH is full of liveliness
Bio.com - A biography on Winfrey
OWN - Oprah Winfrey Network
The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy - OWLA visionary's leadership
Brainy Quote - Quotes said by Oprah