This Week's Online Find: The My Hero Project

by Education World

Starr's Blog

Who's your hero? Mother Theresa? John F. Kennedy? Paul Newman? Jackie Robinson? Michael Jordan? Oprah Winfrey? Who are your students' heroes? Do you know? Do they? Doesn't it seem as though heroes are becoming harder and harder to find?

Fifteen years ago, Karen Pritzker, Jeanne Meyers, and Rita Stern -- three mothers, writers, filmmakers -- concerned about the lack of positive role models depicted in the media, founded the My Hero Project, a child-friendly web site designed to encourage users to share the character and accomplishments of their personal heroes through original essays, images, and video. Today, My Hero is a global learning community whose mission is "to use media and technology to celebrate the best of humanity and to empower young people to realize their own potential to effect positive change in the world."

The My Hero Project is particularly valuable to educators, offering many resources to help teachers help students find and emulate -- and share stories and images about -- their own heroes. Here you can find or submit lesson plans, access an educator's guide to using the My Hero project, register for an educator's account to receive additional (free) project-based learning resources, and -- a great feature for the classroom -- help students access resources about heroes from a monthly calendar.

Today's featured stories are about heroes who stand up to bullying - including John Wallach, Bill Belsey, Erin Gruwell, and the Little Rock Nine. Who will tomorrow's heroes be?

This Week's Online Find: The My Hero Project - See this article directly from the Education World website

July 14th, 2011
Education World