Patricia Anderlik

by Hannah from Roland

“If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” While Abraham Lincoln would not have heard this Dalai Lama quote, that was the way he lived his life. He had overflowing compassion, humor, and love, and he was strong and determined to get things done the right way. Not only that but he was a Godly man, living his life with good morals and in a way that was a great inspiration to everyone he knew. When I think of Abraham Lincoln and all these characteristics, one person comes to mind: my grandma, Patricia Anderlik.

There is a story that has been told about Lincoln, in which he found baby birds that had fallen out of their nest. He stopped to put them back in their nest and waited for their mother to return. Even though he was made fun of by his colleagues, he knew it was the right thing to do. My grandma is the same way. She takes in stray animals and she has even bottle-fed newborn kittens when their mothers could not care for them. However, compassion reaches farther than just caring for animals. Abraham Lincoln was a loving father and husband as well as a caring president. He gave it all he had to be kind, even when it was the furthest thing from his mind. When someone was in need, he was the man to go to because he was always there to help. My grandma is a loving mother, wife, and grandmother. She is extremely active in her church, especially planning and organizing events for children. She cares for the children of her church like they are her own children and knows them each personally. If something is wrong, she will take time out of everything else she is doing to sit down and talk. She has impacted the lives of so many people at her church with her compassion.

Many people don’t know that before Abraham Lincoln became a lawyer, a politician, or the president, he was a farmer. He was raised in a poor farming family. His mother died when he was nine and his father relied on him to help around the farm. He developed a constant determination to get things done the right way. Lincoln said, "Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way.” His determination led him on to greatness. My grandma was raised on a farm and then married a farmer. She has the same strength and determination that Lincoln showed. When my grandpa needed help in the field, my grandma would be the one helping him. Her attitude is one that can get her through anything she sets her mind to.

Many people look to Lincoln as a great inspiration for the way they want to live their life. He was honest, caring, determined and a great leader. He has been looked up to for years. I look up to my grandma just the way that so many people look up to Lincoln. She is inspiration for the way I want to live out my life. Her compassion and strength through all hardships is a great model to emulate. I have grown up looking to her for answers and I still do. I’m grateful for the inspiration she has been to me. I have learned so much from her and I will continue to learn as I get older. I love her, just like so many loved Abraham Lincoln, and I’m glad that I have both of these great characters illuminating the path of my life.