Sidney Crosby

by Ryan from Bradford

I am not trying to be the next Wayne Grezky or Mario Lemeux... I am putting pressure on myself to do my best and perform to my potential. That's all I can do.

Can you play hockey? Sidney Crosby can. He plays in the NHL. He also won the Stanley cup. I picked him because he won gold for Canada in overtime. He beat Ryan Miller's five hole. He was playing against the USA FOR THE GOLD MEDAL GAME AND Canada WON.

Sidney Patrick Crosby was born August 7, 1987 in Cole Harbor, Nova Scotcia. He had one sister named Taylor and a dad named Patrick and a mom named Debbie. He went to high school and Sidney Crosby got straight A's in Astral drive junior high school. He was very kind to students in the learning center. In atom league, Sidney Crosby got 159 goals and 280 points in 52 games. He never bragged about his talent. He got into the NHL when he was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 05 draft. He was the youngest captain in NHL history. He was also the youngest player to ever score the winning shot for an Olympic gold medal for Canada's hockey team. The whole country went wild from the east to the west. He scored it through the legs of the goalie.

Some obstacles he had to overcome were he was not allowed to play major junior. The only other way he could play was he had to move away to USA to play. That influenced him because he maybe missed his mom or dad or sister because they are really close to each other. Also he had to get up at 3am in the morning. He could have crashed but he did not. That is good that he did not crash but he could have. Also he did not know anybody there. He must have been lonely at first. But then he got used to it because he was brave.

Some of Sidney's achievements are he scored the overtime winner for Canada against USA with 13 minutes left in the game when he got a pass from Iginla IN THE CORNER he quietly shot it in the net. Miller went down but he could not stop it. The whole world went crazy that Crosby scored the winning goal from the corner. That was one of his achievements. Some of his actions were that he did not brag about his talent. Sidney Crosby was also the youngest captain in NHL history. That year he also won the Calder trophy for the best rookie that year in the NHL.

My hero's character trait is courage because he came right into the NHL and was named captain. I think he has courage because he had to be named captain. He got a lot of goals that year. That's why he was named captain. I also think he was named captain because in the dressing room he said, "lets do this." My hero influenced me because he scored the overtime goal for Canada. He got the winner from Iginla from the corner in overtime. When he got the goal the crowd went wild. Maybe one day you will grow up to be a superstar like Sidney Crosby the best superstar in the world. Just keep on trying and one day you might be a hero like Sidney.

Savage, Jeff. Sidney Crosby. Minneapolis: Lerner Publications, 2009.