ARTIST HERO:
SLATER JEWELL-KEMKER
by David Kemker and David Kelly

Slater Jewell Kemker

Slater was born in Los Angeles, California in 1992. She grew up with a passion for the environment and for filmmaking. Slater cut her teeth reporting and making short films for The MY HERO Project, documenting the work of personal heroes such as Jean-Michel Cousteau while developing her considerable skills as an artist.

In 2007, Slater was awarded the Earth Trustee award at the United Nations for her environmental activism through filmmaking. Besides having her films recognized at Cannes, TIFF, The MY HERO Film Festival, United Nations' Plural+ Video Festival, Silver Docs and more, Slater has interviewed environmental luminaries like Jean-Michel, Alexandra and Philippe Cousteau, Davis Guggenheim, Laurie David, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Toronto Mayor David Miller, Congresswoman Jackie Speier and Leonardo DiCaprio.

She has participated in numerous youth and educational conferences in North America, Europe and Asia and is currently in production on her documentary, "An Inconvenient Youth.” AIY follows the global youth environmental movement, beginning with Slater's trips to the Environmental Youth Summit in Kobe, Japan and the United Nations Climate Change Conferences in Copenhagen (COP15) and Cancun (COP16). It documents kids on the front lines of climate change and shows not only their crises but their creative solutions to save their planet, their future.

Slater’s commitment to political activism is intrinsic to who she is. As long as there are problems facing the world, she will be actively engaged with them. For that, she has become a hero to many.

Written by David Kemker and David Kelly

Children's Dream Awards: Slater Jewell-Kempker Zoe & Ruby visit with student filmmaker and activist, Slater Jewell-Kempker on the red carpet of Children Uniting Nations' 2011 Children Dream Awards at the Club Nokia in Los Angeles. Slater and her documentary Inconvenient Youth was honored with an Unsun

More Featured Artist Heroes