Susan B. Anthony

by Kaylyn from Bentonville

<a href=http://z.about.com/d/womenshistory/1/0/D/1/sbanthony_hws_400w.jpg>Susan B. Anthony</a>
Susan B. Anthony

Someone once said, “I declare to you women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand.” This quote was from a famous hero of time. She was brave, determined, and encouraging. She was never afraid to speak what was on her mind even if it would get her thrown into jail. The person I am speaking of is Mrs. Susan B. Anthony. She was a very brave woman who fought for women’s rights everywhere. She was the most determined women in a while. She fought a while for the prize of women’s right to vote which was then ratified as the Nineteenth Amendment.

Susan B. Anthony was born February 15th 1820 in Near Adams, Massachusetts. There were eight children in her family and she was the second. She learned to read at age three. Her father was a very noble man. His name was Daniel Anthony. He worked as a cotton manufacturer. He was born into a Quaker religion. Quaker Religion was a religion where the people believed they could talk to God directly. Her mother is Lucy Anthony. She was a student in Daniel Anthony’s class where they fell in love. When Susan was six years old her family decided to move to Massachusetts to Battenville, New York. Susan went to a school that refused to teach her because of her gender. So her father decided to place her in a home schooling activity and her father taught her everything she needed to know. At age 29, Susan quit teaching to move to Rochester, New York. It was in New York when Susan started going to conventions.

Susan B. Anthony went to many, many conventions to fight for the freedom of women. She was even arrested for voting illegally for a president. She was arrested in 1872. In 1873, Susan went on trial and was fined one hundred dollars. She never did pay and was never spoken to about it. Finally in 1905, Susan meet the current president, Theodore Roosevelt in Washington, D.C and they talked about making a suffrage amendment to Congress. On 1906, she gave her “Failure Is Impossible” speech. Then 14 years after she died the 19th amendment was ratified. Also known as the amendment that gave women the right to vote just as men can. The amendment took a lot of commitment, but Susan was determined to get the suffrage as an amendment.

Susan B. Anthony was an amazing women and she is the best women to play a role off of. She knows what she wants and she fights for what she wants. She understands the importance of how women need to feel like they have some freedom. It is wrong and cruel to say that women are not as good as men and they don’t deserve to be treated equally like men do. Susan was a very brilliant woman in history. Every time we think about the 19th amendment or the next time we are speaking our mind we should think about the women who fought for about 50 years just so she could say she had equal rights to men.

Susan B. Anthony showed bravery. Even though she knew she would get arrested she voted because she felt it was wrong that women didn’t have the same amount of freedom as men did. She showed determination because she spent most of her life fighting for something she believed in. She fought for all the women that want to have equal freedom that men do. Even though she might have not known it but she was a hero to everyone. She encouraged everyone to be like her. To fight for something they believe in. Susan was a very noble and determined woman. That is why she is my hero. She fought for what she wanted and I admire her. So next time you are thinking about how we got the way we are, how the women got the freedom they have now, just think about Susan Brownell Anthony, who once said, “I declare to you women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand.”