ANGEL HERO:
TERRANCE STANLEY FOX
by Lauren from Alberta

Picture of Terry Fox
Throughout my days of thinking about heroes, only one has come to mind, and that would be Terry Fox. He had to go to the hospital and get his right leg amputated above the knee because he was diagnosed with bone cancer. Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other patients that he decided to try and run across Canada. He tried to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. I think that this was courageous because the cancer research people would find new cures for cancer and could save the lives of a lot of people.

Terry Fox
Terry Fox was born in Winnipeg Manitoba. His full name was Terrance Stanley Fox. He was raised with his two brothers and sister in the family home on Marrill street in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. Terry was an active sports fan, with diving being one of his favourites. He won a lot of medals in swimming and diving competitions.

In 1977, Terry discovered that he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. He had to have his right leg amputated several inches above the knee. Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other patients who suffered from cancer, that he decided to try and run across Canada. He created the “Marathon of Hope” and attempted to run coast to coast so that he could raise money for cancer research. His goal was to raise $1.00 from every Canadian citizen.

Terry was forced to abandon the run on September 1, 1980. He had to stop because the cancer had spread to his lungs. He had run 5,373 kilometers through Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, and Ontario. Terry was awarded with the Order of Canada, making him the youngest person to ever receive the award at the time. Terry Fox died on June 28, 1981.

Terry Fox Running
To me, Terry Fox is a hero because he tried to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. Part of the research has gone to improving treatments including the cancer that killed Terry. Now, children who have been diagnosed with osteasarcoma rarely get amputations and have greater lifespans. Terry also helped remove the stigma that often surrounded disabled people. Now, there is an annual international charity run called “The Terry Fox Run”

Written by Lauren from Alberta
This story has been submitted by a guest user and does not necessarily represent the views of The My Hero Project or its staff.

Answers.com Information about Terry Fox

The Terry Fox Foundation More information about Terry Fox

People, People. World Book 2001. 7F

Compton. Compton's Encyclopedia. Comptons Fact Index

people, different. The World Book Student Discovery Encyclopedia.

SFU. SFU Terry Fox Day.

More Featured Angel Heroes