SCIENCE HERO:
URSULA GOELLNER-SCHEIDING
by Konrad from Saddle River, New Jersey

Ursula Goellner-Scheiding (ndsu.nodak.edu)

My hero is Ursula Goellner-Scheiding. She has studied bugs for more than 60 years. She still goes to work even though she is nearly 90 years old and doesnít get paid. She goes to places that are very dangerous just to collect bugs. Donít you wonder why Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero?

One of the reasons Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero is because she is brave and courageous. For example, in Africa she camped in the bush where wild animals could have gotten her. Another example is that she had the courage to get a doctoral degree, even though women didnít get doctoral degrees at that time. That is one of the reasons why Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero.

Another reason why Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero is because she works hard. For example, she gets to work as an early bird and leaves after a full day of work. Then, she still works in her garden. Another example is that she spends several hours identifying species collected by amateurs and colleagues. That is another reason why Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero.

Also Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero because she shows hospitality. For example, when my parents and I go to Germany every summer she lets us, including my grandmother, go to her apartment and garden. She also bakes a cake for us when we visit. Another example is that she lets my grandmother visit her almost every weekend. That is one more reason why Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero.

The last reason Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero is because she is kind. For example, she gives things from her garden to strangers. Another example is that she lets strangers pick whatever they want for themselves from her garden. That is my last reason why Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero.

Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero because she is brave and courageous, works hard, shows hospitality, and she is kind. Do you now see why Ursula Goellner-Scheiding is my hero?

Written by Konrad from Saddle River, New Jersey

Virtual Insect Museum

Using Live Insects in Elementary Classrooms is a program dedicated to introducing health topics to children in kindergarten through third grade. The result is a printable collection of twenty integrated lessons with science and math activities that use live insects.

Bug Facts Useful information about commonly found insects in North America.

Koenigsmann, Holger. "Personal Interview".

More Featured Science Heroes