Hank Aaron

by Todd from USA

Has there ever been a person who changed your life or inspired you to do something great? They could have been rich and famous. Or, they could have been a close friend or family member. A person who changed my life was Henry Louis Aaron, born in Mobile, Alabama, on February 5, 1934.

Henry, better known as “Hank" Aaron, was one of the greatest baseball players ever! But it didn’t come easy. Along with the hard work, he also had to overcome racism and hatred. That is why Hank Aaron has become a baseball icon.

He started playing shortstop for the Indianapolis Clowns in the Negro Leagues. After Major League Baseball scouts saw him play, they knew he was the real deal. He was later acquired by the Milwaukee, now Atlanta, Braves. After playing phenomenally in the Minor Leagues, he was brought up to the Majors, but played outfield. Aaron improved each year he played.

Throughout his career, Hank did well playing in a record twenty-four All-Star Games. He also won a Most Valuable Player Award in 1957 and earned three Gold Gloves in the outfield. Hank also led the league in batting average twice, hits twice, total bases four times, and four times led the league in homeruns and runs batted in.

But those aren’t Hank Aaron’s greatest feats. Hard to believe, but Hank accomplished one of the hardest tasks in baseball ever. He achieved a record that still stands today, hitting 755 homeruns! He beat Babe Ruth's homerun record. Because Babe Ruth was a white man and Hank was black, he had to fight racism. This shows he is a hero. It shows his bravery, courage, determination, and strong willpower. He showed all men are equal. These traits are the ones heroes possess.

Hank Aaron has helped me to be all that I can be, and he has changed my life. He has made a difference in my life by inspiring me to do my best in baseball and in life. He has shown me I can beat the odds and overcome anything I want to. Hank said to children, “You may not ever hit a homerun, but the one thing you can do is be the very best teacher in the world. You can be the very best doctor in the world. You can be the very best vet, lawyer in the world.” Those are great words of inspiration for all children, including me.