K'ung Fu Tzu (Confucius) was born in 551 BCE in Lu, China. He traveled throughout China giving advice to its rulers and teaching. His teachings and writings dealt with individual morality and ethics, and the proper exercise of political power. He stressed the following values: Li: ritual, propriety, etiquette, etc.; Hsiao: love among family members; Yi: righteousness; Xin: honesty and trustworthiness; Jen: benevolence towards others, the highest Confucian virtue; and Chung: loyalty to the state, etc. Unlike most religions, Confucianism is primarily an ethical system with rituals at important times during one's lifetime. The most important periods recognized in the Confucian tradition are birth, reaching maturity, marriage, and death.

--From The Major World Religions Web site

"Recognize that you know what you know, and that you are ignorant of what you do not know."

PHILOSOPHER HERO:
CONFUCIUS

Confucius (551-479 BCE) is the father of Confucianism, a religion that originated in ancient China. Confucius was a great philosopher and teacher who spoke much about life and law. Many of his sayings are used in daily conversation, frequently without realization of where the sayings actually came from.

Like most other religious figures, Confucius started life in humble beginnings. He was born in the year 551 BCE, in the country of Lu, to a poor family. When Confucius was 24 his mother died. He soon after became a teacher, traveling around and speaking to those who would listen.

News of Confucius' wise sayings spread, and many people adopted his philosophies. When Confucius died, temples were built in many cities to honor him. These temples were not used for worship. Rather, they were used as public places to celebrate annual ceremonies. Currently, Confucianism is practiced all over East Asia.

Here are a few of Confucius' sayings:

• Feel kindly toward everyone, but be intimate only with the virtuous.
  • When you see a man of worth, think of how you may emulate him. When you see one who is unworthy, examine yourself.
  • The nobler man first practices what he preaches and afterward preaches according to his practice.
  • What you do not wish done to yourself, do not do to others.
  • The true gentleman is friendly but not familiar; the inferior man is familiar but not friendly.

• Last changed on: 7/1/2004 7:08:35 PM

Confucius - Life and Analects

Please visit these other MY HERO pages on the history of religion or religious heroes:

Muhammad
    Krishna
    Jesus
    Moses
    Abraham
    Native American Spirituality
    Confucius

Confucius
    by Raymond Stanley Dawson

Confucius: Philosopher and Teacher (Book Report Biographies)
    by Josh Wilker

Confucius: The Analects
    by Confucius, D. C. Lau (Translator)

Sayings of Confucius
    by James R.Ware

More Featured Heroes_of_Faith Heroes
    More Featured Philosopher Heroes