Tuesday, October 19th, 2010
Associated Press

ASPCA ANNOUNCES
DOG AND CAT OF THE YEAR AWARDS
by Associated Press

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced its dog and cat of the year awards Monday, Oct. 11, 2010. Pearl, a 4-year-old Labrador retriever, seen here in a undated photo provided by the ASPCA, was abandoned at a shelter, then trained and sent this year to Haiti with a rescue team from the Los Angeles County Fire Department. The county's seven rescue teams helped bring 12 people to safety.(AP Photo/ American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals )

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A once-abandoned dog that helped save lives after the Haiti earthquake and a three-legged cat that inspired a series of children's books have received national honors.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced its dog and cat of the year awards Monday. Both are one-time California castoffs.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced its dog and cat of the year awards Monday, Oct. 11, 2010. Cat honors went to Henry, seen here in an undated handout photo provided by the ASPCA, a stray, injured kitten found near San Diego in 2004. After his leg was amputated, he inspired the children's books that have generated more than $50,000 for animal causes. (AP Photo/ American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals )

Pearl, a 4-year-old Labrador retriever, was abandoned at a shelter, then trained and sent this year to Haiti with a rescue team from the Los Angeles County Fire Department. The county's seven rescue teams helped bring 12 people to safety.

Cat honors went to Henry, a stray, injured kitten found near San Diego in 2004. After his leg was amputated, he inspired the children's books that have generated more than $50,000 for animal causes.

Written by Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo/ American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals For more about the first humane organization in the western hemisphere.

The MY HERO Project For the story of one person's hero, a golden retriever named Hero.

The MY HERO Project For the story of a little girl's hero, a cat named Tikka.

More Featured Animal Heroes
More Featured AP_Story Heroes