"Dr. Gayle exemplifies the best in public health leadership...For over a decade, she has made significant contributions to the international and domestic study, control and prevention of HIV and AIDS and other infectious diseases."

--Dr. David Satcher

AIDS HERO:
HELENE GAYLE
by Geeta Malik

Photo Courtesy of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

For so many people living with HIV or AIDS, Dr. Helene Gayle is a hero and a lifesaver. Her tireless efforts to educate the public about the disease, as well as eradicate it, have made Dr. Gayle one of the leading authorities in AIDS research.

Dr. Gayle was born and raised in Buffalo, N.Y. She completed her undergraduate degree at Barnard College of Columbia University, and then received her M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. She also completed her M.P.H. (Masters in Public Health) from Johns Hopkins University.

Dr. Helene Gayle is the director of the National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. She is also the Assistant Surgeon General.

Photo Courtesy of The Centers for Disease Control (CDC)

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) honored Helene D. Gayle, M.D., M.P.H., as she was sworn in as Assistant Surgeon General and Rear Admiral in the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service (PHS) on Tuesday, June 24. The swearing in was conducted by Dr. Audrey Manley, Acting Surgeon General of the United States, and the ceremony was hosted by CDC’s director, Dr. David Satcher.

Dr. Gayle did her residency in Pediatrics and eventually began to work for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There, her work on AIDS has mainly focused on women, children, minorities and international populations. Her work has included regions such as Africa, Asia and the Americas.

Her work has contributed enormously to the study, control and prevention of AIDS. Dr. Gayle is currently the progam director for HIV/AIDS and TB for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Written by Geeta Malik
Photos courtesy of Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and The Center for Disease Control (CDC)
Last changed on: 11/29/2004 4:19:58 AM

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) Global AIDS Program The Global AIDS Program (GAP) exists to help prevent HIV infection, improve care and support and build capacity to address the global HIV/AIDS pandemic.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Global Health Program The foundation's Global Health Program is focused on reducing global health inequities by accelerating the development, deployment and sustainability of health interventions that will save lives and reduce the disease burden in developing countries.

Global Mobilization for HIV Prevention: A Blueprint for Action
by Helene Gayle (Editor)

More Featured Health Heroes
More Featured Lifesaver Heroes