Friday, September 30th, 2011
Associated Press

WHITEHOUSE BACKS BID
TO ENCOURAGE WOMEN SCIENTISTS
by Associated Press

First lady Michelle Obama speaks in the East Room at the White House in Washington, Monday, Sept. 26, 2011, at an event about supporting and retaining women and girls in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) careers. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

WASHINGTON (AP) — First lady Michelle Obama and top officials in her husband's administration are embracing new rules designed to make it easier for scientists — especially women — to balance work and family.

"You shouldn't be penalized or lose a chance to advance in your career because you are taking care of a new child, or a mom or dad who has gotten sick," Mrs. Obama said Monday at an East Room announcement.

The new rules drafted by the National Science Foundation would let both men and women delay or suspend research grants for up to a year to tend to urgent family needs. Other steps include electronic — rather than in-person — reviews for grant proposals and increased flexibility in tenure decisions and the hiring of replacements.

The first lady said too often, women pursuing science or technology careers have to compromise or give up on them entirely because of the demands of family.

First lady Michelle Obama greets Michelle Del Rio, a student at the University of Texas at El Paso, in the East Room at the White House in Washington, Monday, Sept. 26, 2011, after she spoke at an event about supporting and retaining women and girls in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) careers. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

"If we take some practical, common-sense steps, we can keep these women in the (science and math) pipeline where we so desperately need them," she said.

Tina Tchen, who heads the White House Council on Women and Girls, says the new rules will boost the percentage of women in science and engineering, which she calls "the smart thing to do for America's future and the economy."

Written by Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo
Images created by Charles Dharapak

National Science Foundation Where discoveries begin.

The White House Coucil on Women and Girls For more information about this important consulting body.

The MY HERO Project For the heroic story of Tunisian scientist, Zohra Ben Lakhdar.

More Featured AP_Story Heroes
More Featured Science Heroes
More Featured Women Heroes