Saturday, June 11th, 2011
Associated Press

NASA'S LATEST MARS ROVER
SCRAMBLES TO MEET NOVEMBER LAUNCH
by Alicia Chang, AP Science Writer

In this undated artist rendition released by NASA/JPL-Caltech showing NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover, a new report says significant challenges remain before NASA can launch its next rover to Mars later this year. The report by the space agency's inspector general released Wednesday June 8,2011, found that although mission managers have worked through problems that caused the two-year launch delay, hurdles remain. (AP Photo/NASA/JPL-Caltech )

LOS ANGELES (AP) - NASA's next-generation rover to the surface of Mars, which is already overbudget and behind schedule, may need more money to meet its November launch date, the space agency's auditors found.

The grim news was outlined in a report released Wednesday by NASA's inspector general.

Though project managers have solved most of the problems that caused the mission to be delayed by two years, auditors found significant hurdles remained before liftoff.

The mobile Mars Science Laboratory is intended to be the most sophisticated rover sent to the Martian surface. From the outset, the mission managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory has been plagued by development woes that have put it behind schedule and driven up costs. The price tag has ballooned to $2.5 billion from $1.6 billion.

NASA's internal watchdog faulted project managers for routinely underestimating costs and calculated that an extra $44 million may be needed to avoid another delay or cancellation.

The latest price tag "may be insufficient to ensure timely completion of the project in light of the historical pattern of cost increases and the amount of work that remains to be completed," the report said.

The size of a Mini Cooper and nicknamed Curiosity, the rover is a souped-up version of the golf cart-size twin rovers Spirit and Opportunity. Essentially a science laboratory on wheels, Curiosity carries a suite of tools to analyze Martian rocks and soil to determine whether environmental conditions were ever favorable to support primitive life.

This image provided by NASA shows a color-enhanced image of the Gale Crater proposed landing site on Mars. The Gale Crater is one of four proposed sites for the landing of the next Mars rover. After years of poring through images from space to decide where to send the next Mars rover, it comes down to four choices. Scientists in the Mars research community will get one last chance to suggest a landing site to NASA, the ultimate decider. (AP Photo/NASA)

Curiosity was supposed to fly in 2009, but problems during construction forced NASA to push back launch by two years to 2011 when the orbits of Mars and Earth are again closely aligned.

Engineers had to redesign the heat shield after it failed safety tests. There were delays in shipping instruments to NASA. It took longer than expected to build and test the gear boxes that enable the mega-rover to drive and flick its robotic wrist.

Auditors found 1,200 reports of problems and failures that have not been resolved. During testing of the robotic arm, engineers discovered contamination in sample rocks and soil. NASA has since found a solution to minimize contamination, but auditors said they remained concerned that the fix would not be completed until later this month when Curiosity is scheduled to be shipped from California to Florida to be prepped for launch.

Another launch delay would increase costs by at least another $570 million, the report said.

NASA has maintained that Curiosity is no cookie-cutter rover and that unforeseen problems are to be expected when building such a complex machine.

In a two-page response, Ed Weiler of NASA headquarters said he expected outstanding issues to be fixed by launch. Weiler also said the space agency has set aside $22 million in reserves "to achieve a timely and safe launch."

FILE - In this Jan. 28, 2004 photo provided by NASA/JPL of a photo shot by NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit. NASA is ending efforts to revive the sand-trapped rover Spirit, which has been silent for more than a year. Project manager John Callas of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory says the last commands will be sent up Wednesday, May 25. (AP Photo/NASA/JPL,File)

Unlike the previous Mars rovers that bounced to a landing cocooned in airbags, the nuclear-powered Curiosity will use a precision landing system to gently lower itself to the surface - a tough engineering feat. Curiosity's landing site has yet to be chosen from among four finalists.

One thing Curiosity won't be able to do is take pretty pictures of its surroundings with a high-resolution 3-D camera. NASA recently nixed the camera that "Avatar" director James Cameron was helping to design because there wasn't enough time to test it before launch.

Instead, the rover's "eyes" will be digital color cameras that are three times more powerful than those aboard previous Martian surface spacecraft.

Written by Alicia Chang, AP Science Writer
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo/NASA/JPL-Caltech

NASA For more from the official website.

NASA Interactive Features SPIRIT: Mission Complete

The MY HERO Project The Jason Project: Hawaii

The MY HERO Project For the heroic story of Allen Shephard, NASA Astronaut with the Mercury Program.

The MY HERO Gallery For a look at the planets of our solar system.

More Featured AP_Story Heroes
More Featured Science Heroes