James Naismith

by Keith from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

136327James NaismithEvdcoldeportes. [Public domain] via Wikimedia Commons [https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:James_Naismith_with_a_basketball.jpg]When I think of a hero I think of someone who did something that is well known today. James Naismith invented my favourite, and a very popular sport, basketball. Dr. Naismith was also a very dedicated person in everything he did. He was a good person who led by example. This is why James Naismith is my hero.

When James Naismith was younger he had a rough start but things turned out well. He was born on November 6, 1861 in Almonte, Ontario, where he attended grade school at Bennies Corner. By the age of twelve both of his parents and his maternal grandmother died. Although James left high school for a time, he came back. He eventually got into McGill University where he got a B.A. in physical education. He played on the rugby and lacrosse team. On June 20, 1894 he married Maude E. Sherman. They were married for forty-three years. After she died, he married Florence Kinkaid.

James Naismith was put in eight Halls of Fame. Between 1911 and 1918 he published two books: Essence of a Healthy Life and A Modern College. James also threw the first Olympic Basketball in Berlin in 1936, a major event.

James Naismith is a hero not only because he invented basketball, but also because he was a good person. James played intensely in all sports but he had self-control. He tried to make basketball a game of skill and non-physical so the church would like it. He was also a very dedicated person and he never gave up. These qualities are what make James Naismith a hero.

All of the stuff James did in his life was amazing. He was a good person who helped out a lot of people. He invented a lot of people’s favourite sport. He was a very dedicated person and never quit. This is why James Naismith is my hero.

Naismith Museum - The Naismith Basketball Foundation exists to increase awareness of Canadian Dr. James Naismith, inventor of the game of basketball – his values and legacies in sport, theology and medicine. Read more >
Dr. James Naismith, Inventor of Basketball - Read more about Dr. Naismith.
Basketball Hall of Fame