Support Us

Contact: Betty Bailey IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Santa Monica, CA – 6/22/13 – In honor of his amazing life, The MY HERO Project in partnership with Creative Visions Foundation will celebrate Nelson Mandela on July 18th at the Herb Alpert Educational Village in Santa Monica. The event will take place in the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater located in the Capshaw-Spielberg Center for Art and Educational Justice.

South African Consul-General The Honorable Cyril Ndaba will be one of the speakers. Short films, art, live music will help bring together a moving tribute to this great man, whose brave and peaceful walk to freedom has inspired people around the world.

The event is free and open to the public.

Thursday July 18th from 7:30-9:30 pm
Herb Alpert Educational Village
Capshaw Spielberg Center for Arts and Educational Justice
3131 Olympic Blvd. Santa Monica, CA 90404

The event is produced by The MY HERO Project and Creative Visions Foundation..

The mission of The MY HERO Project is to use media, art and technology to empower people of all ages to realize their own potential to effect positive change in the world. MY HERO's globally accessible, no-charge web site ( is enjoyed by millions of students and adults in more than 194 countries.

Creative Visions Foundation (CVF) honors the legacy of Dan Eldon, an artist, adventurer and activist killed in Somalia in 1993 while covering the conflict as a photojournalist for Reuters News Agency. His mother Kathy Eldon and sister Amy Eldon Turtletaub founded the Creative Visions Foundation, a publicly supported 501(c)3 organization, to help others like Dan use media and the arts to create meaningful change in the world around them.

The Celebration of Nelson Mandela is part of the third Thursday Salon Series that The MY HERO Project hosts at the Herb Alpert Educational Village.

The CENTER FOR EDUCATIONAL JUSTICE is the home to twelve nonprofit partners, selected by New Visions, who share the communal goal of providing educational programming for at-risk youth in Los Angeles. For more information, please visit

Celebrating Nelson Mandela July 18 - Nelson Mandela Day Celebration

MY HERO Salon Series

Please RSVP to be part of this celebration.

More Featured Press_Release Heroes