June 16, 2016

Associated Press

RESEARCHERS DISCOVER 3 NEW SPECIES OF FISH OFF HAWAII
by Caleb Jones, Associated Press

This photo provided by Bishop Museum and NOAA shows a male Hawaiian Pigfish, one of the deep-water fishes never before seen by divers, found during a 25-day research expedition from May 22 to June 15, 2016, in the waters in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Researchers in Hawaii have discovered three probable new species of fish while on an expedition in the protected waters of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument. (Richard Pyle/Bishop Museum and NOAA via AP)

HONOLULU (AP) Researchers in Hawaii have discovered three probable new species of fish while on an expedition in the protected waters of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument.

In a statement released Wednesday, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration officials said divers collected two previously unknown species of fish and filmed a third.

This photo provided by Bishop Museum and NOAA shows a wrasse, left, one of deep-water fishes never before seen by divers, found during a 25-day research expedition from May 22 to June 15, 2016, in the waters in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Researchers in Hawaii have discovered three probable new species of fish while on an expedition in the protected waters of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument. (Richard Pyle/Bishop Museum and NOAA via AP)

NOAA's Randall Kosaki, the expedition's chief scientist, said the team collected the first specimens of male Hawaiian pigfish about 300 feet below the surface.

The scientists also observed significant coral mortality in the region that was the result of a mass bleaching event in 2014.

Written by Caleb Jones, Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Last changed on: 6/21/2016 4:31:37 AM