Monday, November 29th, 2010
Associated Press

PRESIDENT OBAMA BESTOWS NATIONAL MEDALS
OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
by Darlene Superville
Associated Press Writer

President Barack Obama stands with Helen M. Free, known for her creation of many self-testing systems for diabetes while working at Miles Laboratories, during a ceremony for recipients of the National Medal of Science and the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, the highest honors bestowed by the United States government on scientists, engineers, and inventors, at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

WASHINGTON (AP) — From super glue to microchips to digital cameras, President Barack Obama on Wednesday celebrated the brains behind these inventions and other breakthroughs as examples of "the promise of science."

In a ceremony in the White House East Room, Obama bestowed the National Medal of Science on 10 researchers and awarded the National Medal of Technology and Innovation to three individuals and a three-person team.

The medals represent the government's highest honor for scientists, engineers and inventors.

Obama said their achievements "stand as a testament to the ingenuity, to their zeal for discovery and to the willingness to give of themselves and to sacrifice in order to expand the reach of human understanding. All of us have benefited from their work."

Other honorees helped unlock the secrets of genetics and disease, nanotechnology, solar energy, and chemistry and biology.

Their work, Obama said, has saved lives, improved health, created new industries and millions of jobs, and transformed education and communication. It serves, he said, "as proof not only of their incredible creativity and skill, but of the promise of science itself."

President Barack Obama stands with, from left, Marcian E. Hoff Jr., Federico Faggin, and Stanley Mazor, the creators of the world's first microprocessor at Intel Corporation, as he hosts a ceremony for recipients of the National Medal of Science and the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, the highest honors bestowed by the United States government on scientists, engineers, and inventors, at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Recipients of the National Medal of Science are:

—Yakir Aharonov, Chapman University, Calif., for contributions to the foundations of quantum physics

—Stephen J. Benkovic, Pennsylvania State University, for research contributions in the field of bioorganic chemistry

—Esther M. Conwell, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y., for contributions to understanding electron and hole transport in semiconducting materials, and for extending her analysis to studying the electronic properties of DNA.

—Marye Anne Fox, University of California, San Diego, for research contributions in the areas of organic photochemistry and electrochemistry.

—Susan L. Lindquist, Whitehead Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, for her studies of protein folding.

—Mortimer Mishkin, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md., for contributing to understanding the neural basis of perception and memory in primates.

—David B. Mumford, Brown University, Providence, R.I., for contributions to the field of mathematics that changed algebraic geometry, and for connecting mathematics to other disciplines such as computer vision and neurobiology.

—Stanley B. Prusiner, University of California, San Francisco, for discovering prions, the cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, also known as mad cow disease, and other related neurodegenerative diseases.

—Warren M. Washington, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colo., for developing and using global climate models to understand climate and explain the role of human activities and natural processes in the Earth's climate system.

President Barack Obama stands with Harry W. Coover who invented cyanoacrylate glue, commonly known as Super Glue, for Eastman Chemical Co., as he hosts a ceremony for recipients of the National Medal of Science and the National Medal of Technology and Innovation, the highest honors bestowed by the United States government on scientists, engineers, and inventors, at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

—Amnon Yariv, California Institute of Technology, for contributions to photonics and quantum electronics, including his demonstration of the semiconductor distributed feedback laser that underpins today's high-speed optical fiber communications.

Recipients of the National Medal of Technology and Innovation are: —Harry Coover of Eastman Chemical Co., Tennessee, for inventing cyanoacrylates, also known as super glues.

—Helen M. Free, Miles Laboratories, Indiana, for contributions to diagnostic chemistry through development of dip-and-read urinalysis.

—Steven J. Sasson, Eastman Kodak Co., New York, for inventing the digital camera and revolutionizing the way images are captured, stored and shared.

—The Intel Corp. team of Federico Faggin, Marcian E. Hoff Jr. and Stanley Mazor for inventing the first microprocessor.

Written by Darlene Superville
Associated Press Writer
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo
Images created by Scott Applewhite

The National Medal of Science Presidential Award for outstanding contributions to knowledge in the physical, biological, mathematical, or engineering sciences.

The National Medal of Technology The highest honor for technological achievement bestowed by the President of the United States on America's leading innovators.

The MY HERO Project For the Hero story of Barbara McClintock, one of the first women geneticists and winner of The National Medal of Science.

The MY HERO Project For the Hero story of Bill Gates, an innovator in computer software and recipient of the National Medal of Technology.

More Featured AP_Story Heroes
More Featured Science Heroes