Ronaldinho

by Bart from Connecticut

Ronaldinho
ronaldinho
ronaldinho

The name of the person that I'm going to write about is Ronaldinho. He is my hero. He is a 25 year-old Brazilian soccer player. He was born on March 21, 1980 in Porto Alegra, Brazil. His family was very poor so he learned how to play soccer with a torn up ball. His dad, Joao, played for an amateur club in his free time. He cleaned Germio Football Stadium, which is also where he played soccer. Ronaldinho's older brother, Robert, was playing for Germio, a professional soccer team in Brazil, but his dad saw Ronaldinho as a true champion. Later, Robert injured his knee and became a substitute player. Eventually, he quit and became Ronaldinho's personal coach. His dad would never see Ronaldinho becoming what he is today because he drowned in a swimming pool when Ronaldinho was only eight years old. It was a very difficult time for Ronaldinho and his brother.

As the years went on, Ronaldinho's talent was discovered by more and more players and trainers. When Ronaldinho was barely 17 years old, he became a key player in Brazil's national team, leading them to victory in the U-17 World Cup Championship with an amazing set of statistics. He scored 15 goals in 14 games. Then afterwards Psv Eindhoven offered Germio seven-million euros for Ronaldinho. Gremio did not give away its team star. Ronaldinho had to wait 2 more years to play on the real Brazilian national team. He played his first game against Paraguay and he scored a great goal. The next day, the Brazilians compared Ronaldinho to the legendary Pele. That's when his career really exploded.

Europe was finally starting to relize Ronaldinho's talent. They offered for Ronaldinho a huge amount of money equal to 96 million dollars but, once again, Germio refused to sell their star in order to keep him for the 2000 season. Finally, in 2002 he was bought by a French team, Paris Saint-Germain. Although he only scored 8 goals that season, in the 2002 World Cup Ronaldinho became a key player in Brazil's victory, beating Germany in the final 2-0. Ronaldo scored both goals in the second half. In the semi-final match, Brazil played England and Brazil won 2-1 with Ronaldinho's spectacular free kick. The curve ball went past David Seamon's fingers. That goal blew the whole world away and was shown in many countries.

In 2003 the Barcelona Football Club contracted the Brazilian super star for forty five million dollars. In 2004, Ronaldinho won the player of the year. I think he really deservered it. He scores a lot of goals and he's also a great penalty taker. He has a chance to be the best player in 2005. I hope he wins. He's the best soccer player ever.

Ronaldinho - more about Ronaldhino