Friday, June 3rd, 2011
Associated Press

HIGH-TECH YACHT TO BE FIRST SOLAR-POWERED VEHICLE TO CIRCUMNAVIGATE THE GLOBE
by Associated Press

(AP Photo/Hill and Knowlton, James Morgan)

In this photo released by Hill and Knowlton, a New York-based international public relations company, Toranor PlanetSolar yacht arrives on its first Australian stopover at Riverside Centre Pontoon in Brisbane Sunday, May 29, 2011. The company claims that the yacht will be the first fully solar-powered vessel to circumnavigate around the world.

The yacht is in an attempt to cover about 27,000 nautical miles in its effort to prove that current renewable energy technologies are reliable and effective and to demonstrate the potential of environmentally responsible mobility concepts. The multi-hull catamaran has a solar photovoltaic surface area of over 537 square meters, hosting 38,000 high-efficiency solar cells, making it the biggest solar-powered ship in the world, according to the company.

In this photo released by Hill and Knowlton, a New York-based international public relations company, owner Immo Stroeher and his daughter and co-owner Cordula pose for a photo on the deck of Toranor PlanetSolar yacht.

Written by Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo/Hill and Knowlton
Images created by James Morgan

PlanetSolar Imagine a solar world.

Wikipedia What exactly is solar power?

The MY HERO Project For the My Hero story of "off-the-grid" environmentalist, Beth Rickard.

More Featured AP_Story Heroes
More Featured Science Heroes