Thursday, October 6th, 2011
Associated Press

THE WORLD MOURNS STEVE JOBS
(1955 - 2011)
by Jordan Robertson, Rachel Metz, Associated Press

Apple Computer, Inc., CEO Steve Jobs gestures Thursday, Oct. 16. 2003, during a media presentation in San Francisco. In a move to reach the broader market of Microsoft-platform users, Jobs unveiled a fully Windows-compatible Apple iTunes Music Store, which already has proven successful among Macintosh users. (Photo/Ben Margot)

Steve Jobs was grieved around the world Thursday through the very devices he conceived: People held up pictures of candles on their iPads, reviewed his life on Macintosh computers and tapped out tributes on iPhones.

One day after his death, two days after Apple introduced the latest incarnation of a touch-screen phone that touched pop culture, sadness and admiration poured out — not for a rock star, not for a religious figure, but for an American corporate executive.

By people who have grown up in a world where iPod headphones are as ubiquitous as wristwatches were to a previous generation, Jobs was remembered as their Elvis Presley or John Lennon. Perhaps even their Thomas Edison.

"It's like the end of the innovators," said Scott Robbins, 34, who described himself as an Apple fan of 20 years and who rushed to an Apple Store in San Francisco when he heard the news.

Personal computer pioneer Steve Jobs, is shown in this 1993 photo. (AP Photo/Kristy Macdonald)

Apple announced Jobs' death Wednesday night and remembered him as a "visionary and creative genius." The company announced no cause of death, but Jobs had been diagnosed with a rare pancreatic cancer seven years ago and had a liver transplant in 2009. He was 56.

On Thursday, the Apple website, which usually features slick presentations of multicolored iPods and ever-thinner MacBook laptop computers, simply displayed a black-and-white photo of Jobs, thumb and finger to his beard as if in contemplation.

Around the world, tributes sprang up of the highest and lowest technology. In the Ginza shopping district of Tokyo, people held up iPhones and iPads, their screens facing outward and displaying sharply defined, touchable graphics of flickering candles.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs gestures in front of a projected image of an iPhone during his keynote at the MacWorld Conference in San Francisco, Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2008. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

At an Apple Store in Hong Kong, old and new means of grief came together: People scribbled "RIP" and "We miss Steve" and longer notes of condolence on Post-It notes, and stuck them to an iPad display.

And at the 24-hour Apple Store in midtown Manhattan, the remembrances were more traditional. Passersby left flowers and candles, actual ones. Even there, people snapped pictures of the memorial with their iPhones.

"I was so saddened. For me it was like Michael Jackson or Princess Diana — that magnitude," Stephen Jarjoura said at the Apple Store in Sydney. His said Jobs left a legacy to rival Edison and Albert Einstein.

Philippe Meunier, a senior partner of a Canadian ad agency who was visiting New York from Montreal, reflected on how weird it was to receive the news of Jobs' death on the phone he invented.

In this Jan. 15, 2008 file photo, Apple CEO Steve Jobs gestures during his keynote speech at the MacWorld Conference in San Francisco. Apple Inc. says Jobs won't be taking the stage at the annual Macworld computer trade show in January. A senior vice president of marketing will deliver the opening keynote instead. The computer and iPod maker also says it won't attend the Macworld Expo after 2009. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma, File)

In a measure of his impact on personal technology, Jobs was venerated by his fiercest competitors in the hours after his death.

Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, a company that Apple once treated as Goliath to its David, then blew past in market value, said it was "an insanely great honor" to have known Jobs. A statement of grief came from Sony, whose Walkman and Discman were buried by the iPod.

Google added a link to the Apple site on its famously minimalist search page. Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, thanked him for changing the world.

To the extent that there is an online version of the old-time public square, it was overrun Thursday by remembrances of Jobs.

Apple-CEO Steve Jobs speaks during a news conference in Berlin on Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2007, Telekom CEO Rene Obermann and Jobs announced that the iPhone will go on sale in Germany on Nov. 9, 2007 and will have the T-Mobile network as its exclusive carrier. (AP Photo/Herbert Knosowski)

On Twitter, where the most popular "trending" topics change by the hour, "ThankYouSteve" and "iSad" were still high on the list a day after his death.

On Facebook, people posted revisions of the Apple logo, a stylized apple with a detached leaf and a half-moon bite taken out. One added a frown and tears to the apple. Another replaced the bite with a silhouette of Jobs himself.

Heads of state around the world added their thoughts. President Barack Obama said Jobs exemplified American ingenuity. Mexico's President Felipe Calderon bemoaned the loss of "one of the most visionary minds of our times." India's Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, said he was "deeply saddened."

Written by Jordan Robertson, Rachel Metz, Associated Press
Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten , or redistributed.

Photos courtesy of AP Photo
Images created by Paul Sakuma, Kristy Macdonald, Ben Margot, Herbert Knosowski

Steve Jobs talks about life. For Steve Jobs' inspirational 2005 Stanford commencement address.

The MY HERO Project For the MY HERO story of Steve Jobs.

Wikipedia For more about the life and work of Steve Jobs

More Featured AP_Story Heroes
More Featured Science Heroes