Walt Disney was both a visionary artist and an entrepreneur. His passion for the arts led to a world of Disney entertainment that has been enjoyed by families for many generations. This story is a compilation of reporting by Janice McDaniel of Laguna Beach, LaVerne from Yorkton, and
Shelley from Moretown.
I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing --
that it was all started by a mouse.

ARTIST HERO:
WALT DISNEY
by Janice Mcdaniel from Laguna Beach,
LaVerne from Yorkton, and Shelley from Moretown

Walt Disney was a businessman as well as an artist. This in itself is pretty significant, as most artists don't seem to be happy as business people. The majority of artists that we have spoken to agree.

In 1923, Disney got a contract to make several cartoons. He and his brother, Roy, moved to Los Angeles to set up the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio. Here they made the "Alice Comedies" and "Oswald the Lucky Rabbit." Things took off in November of 1928 when Mickey and Minnie Mouse made their debut in "Steamboat Willie." This was the movie that made the characters and their creator famous.

Disney experimented with Technicolor and animation styles. In 1932, he won an Academy Award in the best cartoon category for "Flowers and Trees." It was the first of 32 Academy Awards which Disney would win in his life.

"Snow White," which took three years to make, was released in 1937. The first live-action Disney movie, "Treasure Island," came out in 1950. By then, Walt Disney could do anything he wanted. He made Disneyland in 1955 and many wonderful, enjoyable movies like "Cinderella," "Sleeping Beauty," and many others which appeared both in theaters and on television. His Disneyland television series ran for 29 years, the record for a prime time show.

Walt Disney accomplished many of his dreams. Before his death in 1966, he purchased the land for Disneyworld in Florida, but he never lived to see the park completed.

Written by Janice Mcdaniel from Laguna Beach,

Last changed on: 6/9/2004 10:51:08 AM

Disney.com Where the magic lives online.

Walt Disney Family Museum Where dreams come to lif; in the Presidio of San Francisco

Find out more about Walt Disney at the Business Heroes page.

Walt Disney was born in Chicago, Illinois, on December 5, 1901 and died in Los Angeles December 15, 1966. For a complete biography, visit Disney's official biography

Quotable Walt Disney: Lessons on Life from One of Amerca’s Greatest Creative Geniuses
by Walt Disney and Dave Smith

The Art of Walt Disney: From Mickey Mouse to the Magic Kingdoms, Revised and Expanded Edition
by Christopher Finch

More Featured Artist Heroes