Stevland Wonder

by Minnie from Gold Coast

Stevland Morris is also known as Stevie Wonder. Born into this world on May 13th, 1950 in Saginaw, Michigan. Being premature, he spent the first eight weeks of his life in a incubator. Something dramatic happened while he was in the incubator that changed his life forever. There was too much oxygen accidentally pumped into his incubator and the tragic accident causing little Stevland to have irreparable damage to his eyes. He was left totally blind.

This did not stop him from becoming a well-respected and successful American phenomenon and musical genius. At the age of seven, Stevie learned to play the piano, he also perfected the drums and harmonica by the age of nine. This was all done while he was constantly reminded of his limitations by his school teachers. Some would even tell him that he had three strikes against him: he was blind, he was black and he was broke. Despite a major lack of support from those around him, he continued to pursue his goals and dreams.

In 1980 Stevie performed the song "Happy Birthday" for the first ever on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. He was honored at the services by the President. He become a hero for hundreds when he reached out and helped to heal the world. At the age of thirty-five Stevie Wonder was involved in a group called, "USA for Africa." January 28, 1985, they came together to record the song "We are the World." Stevie also participated in the National Rehabilitation Center for the handicapped in Taounda, Cameroon in 1992. He also performed in the "Change Against Hunger" campaign in 1993. Stevie's lyrics began to change from gentle display of feelings to a very strong expression, geared at changing America.

The darkest hour of Stevie's journey was on the night of August 6, 1973. He was involved in a tragic car accident that nearly ended his wonderful life. Instead of bringing him down, though, it sent him off towards his dream. Stevie said,"I came to realize that my time on earth is not yet done and that there are many things to do."

After becoming one of the most respected recording artists in all of history, Stevie dreamed of the time when he would leave the music industry and be able to devote more of his attention to his family and live his life a little less in the 'public eye.'