I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

By Maya Angelou

Publisher: Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, May 1983
ISBN: 0553279378
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Maya Angelou's autobiography of her childhood in Arkansas.
User Reviews:
jeremy brazzle | 4/11/2011 5:10 AM
i love all your books
Gwendolyn Ziegler | 8/14/2009 12:48 AM
The greatest book on  the freak'n planet!!!
Keishonna | 1/14/2009 8:01 AM
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings A very Good Book It Is A Book That I Can Read Over And Over Again I LOVED It So Much........
ashanti jackson | 1/7/2009 4:24 AM
knowing you are the person you are is so amazing. you are very inspirational to many most of all me myself ashanti jackson. I am a young lady thats from Chicago and i have experienced different circumstances in my life but they have made me the young lady that i am today. my wrost times of my life has been my strongest times of my life. i love your book i know why the caged bird sings. i love your poetry book still i rise. you are a phenonmenal woman really.

I LOVE YOU
kdjdsfh | 12/15/2008 3:54 AM
i am doing a report on you now. you're a very interesting person to research :)  but im trying to find out who inspired you to write.. and i can't find it anywhere!!
Meme | 7/22/2008 2:50 AM
I write poems and plan to publish a book by the middle of next year. I am a big fan of your poems.
Charnelle | 5/7/2008 3:13 AM
Maya you write like an angel! I have to do an author book project and I chose you and your book Gather Together In My Name. I loved the book and I am quite enjoying this project. I appreciate you. Thank You.
tyler | 4/24/2008 1:34 AM
im doing an essay and power point on maya angelou and i'v learned stuff about her i didn't know and it made me be more inspired then i was at first. i also enjoy writing poetry.
Samantha | 4/14/2008 1:17 PM
So I'm a 16 year old and I'm reading this book for a project to discuss why certain books are banned. I originally read this book for fun. It has really inspired me to become the best writer I can be. Many younger persons can probably relate to her and what happened in her life. Honestly, they really shouldn't ban this book. I belive that if they do they will be ruining true art. Those who think that this book is "inappropriate" and they think they are not "mature" enough to read it should just not read it. This doesn't mean that they should keep others from reading this amazing book. =] It's all a matter of personal preference.
.:Star.J.M:. | 4/9/2008 7:16 AM
I think this is a good book and thousands of young girls are faced with a tragedy like in their life:( You have to come to the real parts of this world. You can't let them be fooled because way later on down the road they will discover this world is tough. You have to be prepared. Shock and awe comes a lot from this book but lets face reality. Not everything is nice. This is a good example but it also may be a bit too graphic for a younger age but later on in their life they will see how much of a great book it really is. The inspiration, tragedy, a landmark of African-American literature will keep you reading more. It gives you he courage to be strong, proud and inspired.

tyler | 4/1/2008 4:22 AM
i love your books as well. your a great poet and women. i love writing poetry and im inspired by her.
T.S | 2/28/2008 8:35 AM
I Love Maya Angelous Books she really has a way with words
zaira13 | 12/1/2007 4:36 AM
i have read i know why the caged bird sings so many times that i now know it by memory i really like that book and i somehow can relate to you in those stories.
phs | 11/1/2007 10:40 PM
kool book
kristen hill...Pflugerville high school | 11/1/2007 10:39 PM
i chose to read you book for my english 3 class.  we had to read a banned book and i notice your book tells about situations children go through, how racist people can be and how mans can be such a pig. i dont think your book should be banned because children should read it to see what the real world is all about
Takiyah | 9/24/2007 10:21 PM
hi i like your books
angela | 6/4/2007 7:06 AM
i love this book how come this book makes me think so much?? i am writing poems myself now!!!!!!!
luv angela!!!
Takiyah Edmondson | 4/9/2007 4:02 AM
Dear Maya I love everything you do My teacher made us read your book I know why the caged bird sing and we finished it in a week and I just want to let you know that I am so sorry that those things happend to you and I am happy that you moved and did better things with your life and that you overcome your fears of talking for 5 years .
kierra | 3/22/2007 11:30 PM
she inspires me...
Tia Tanner | 3/3/2007 11:39 PM
I cant belive how strong Black women are today! If i do become a poet Maya will be my biggest inspiration.
Zakia A'real Knight | 2/6/2007 8:15 AM
Well my name is Zakia and i'm 13 years old an I just wanted you to that you are the person who inspired me to write poems an that I think all of your poems, and books are good------Once at Church I had brought my poem book with me knowing that I should not have but I did and this lady at my church got a hold on to my book and she read some of my poems an she said if I keep on writing that I could get them published hoping one day to be just like you.    Below is one of my poems:

My Way

Is it because of the way I LOOK thats got you shook

Is it my skin that does not blend in with your black or white pours

Is it clothes thats got u staring like you froze

Is it my shoes do you think you can choose

Is it my hair brown and black if u dont like ill change it and thats a fact

NO...................................................................

Is it just me that u hope to be seeing your self looking just like me

Resha | 1/14/2007 8:39 AM
I'm doing a report on your book right now. It shouldn't be banned because most people in the states are reading it and talking about it. It was a good book, and very interesting.
I love this book | 2/28/2006 9:50 PM
It was something about this book that just made want to go out and start writing All of the things she said and how she expressed it made me think but I just wanted to say this book was gooood
Deirdre Hohn | 2/22/2006 8:10 AM
I love Maya she is a great author,I especially love the story "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings".  I love black history!
Sincerely
Maya Angelou's biggest fan
Quanique Coffman | 2/15/2006 12:55 AM
I like doing research on you because you are a very interesting person to learn about!
googoodoll | 1/16/2006 2:53 AM
I think the book is highly inappropriate for readers, especially those in my ninth grade honors reading class.  Although we are students of an honors class, as students, we were not mature enough to handle the contents of this book.  
ciara Harmon | 1/5/2006 10:31 PM
finally there is someone that I can relate to so many things that maya has been through I've been through too. she inspires me to keep on writing. I wanna grow to be a strong Black woman just like maya. Hopefully I'll write my own book someday.
Maya Angelou | 12/13/2005 2:15 AM
I love your books when i get older i want to be a writer just like you cause you talk to young people about respect and life that's what i want to do i want to talk to young people and mostly young women about success in life thank you Mrs.Angelou for making me feel like a woman inside thank you and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS...........
Jenea | 11/7/2005 9:16 PM
i love how maya speaks to me in her own unique way. her poetry is extraordinary. her poems speak out to everyone. that's someone to look up to. the book "i know why the caged bird sings," shows about her life story telling how her life was going in her young ages.
Blerian Vila | 10/19/2005 1:15 PM
Your book is breathtaking! I just finished reading it in my 12 CP class and right now I am writing and essay on the literally merit of this book. We also are discussing why this book was challenged and why people wanted the book banned. Your book is very inspiring to me and while reading it I felt like I was Marguerite Johnson. We are lucky to have authors like you.
sara phipps | 2/28/2005 12:43 AM
this book was very touching and encouraging to me and my family. i would recommend it to everyone everywhere.
Tawonda McDonald | 1/28/2005 8:40 AM
I love the book. I am only 13 years old and the book was very interesting. Every year the teachers say pick someone who is famous I would always choose Maya Angelou she is like the best one to me. Also I love the poem.
kiera and april | 11/29/2004 1:28 AM
I think that your books are inspiring to
many people, and that you are telling your
stories to many people, expressing your
inner self. We are reading inspiring books
like yours at the age 13.
S.F | 6/12/2004 3:03 PM
I love this book! I'm reading it now and I'm only 14. The wonderful way it is written shows me how it was to be Marguerite Johnson.
Maria MIgdalia Jones | 4/30/2004 5:05 AM
I think that "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" is a very good book. It shows how times were there in Arkansas and almost every girl can relate to Maya Angelou's situations, experiences, and problems. I recommend this book to everyone especially, no mainly, to young Black girls these days and adult readers. This book is a very touching story. I especially like the fact that she said her brother was he kingdom come.  

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews