Celebrating the best of humanity, one story at a time.
Visit our Facebook Visit our Twitter

Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler''s Olympics
by Jeremy Schaap

Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company, February 2007
ISBN: 0618688226

MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.

Annotation
In 1936, against a backdrop of swastikas flying and storm troopers looming, an African-American son of sharecroppers set three world records and won an unprecedented four gold medals, single-handedly crushing Hitler's myth of Aryan supremacy. The story of Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics Games is that of a high-profile athlete giving a performance that transcends sports. But it is also the intimate and complex tale of the courage of one remarkable man.

Hero(es) associated:
Jesse Owens by Brett from Fredericksburg

Users Reviews:

4/30/2010 1:12:38 AM
jesse owens was an amazing man and an insperation to us all.

Sarah 4/25/2010 12:20:52 PM
I am writing a report on my American hero, and Jesse Owens is the epitome of American heroes. This book was so helpful with writing my paper and the facts are astounding, I barely knew any of the facts that were in there, and they were really interesting. Go out and read this book!

sydney 3/11/2010 3:14:19 PM
do u have any imformational facts about him i could really use then becuz im in college and im doing a report in him and i have 2 pages but i need 5 Be sure to check out the MY HERO essay about Jesse Owens and the Related Links at the end of the story for more information about him: http://www.myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=JesseOwens_fredericksburg_academy_03 -- The MY HERO Library Staff

angel 1/27/2010 4:01:31 PM
Jesse Owens was a great runner. And person,Because he's the 1# winner

kiana 1/31/2009 2:10:45 PM
wow nancy, you are lucky. My english teacher's grandpa was a man who competed in a spot in the olympic team. he lost but jesse owens won. and the rest is history. litterally. :) -kp

Noura 8/23/2008 7:45:49 AM
YOURE SO LUCKY NANCY TO MEET SUCH A GREAT AND INFLUENTIAL MAN LIKE JESSE OWENS.

Nancy Minor 3/8/2008 3:38:13 PM
I met Jesse Owens in 1979! I was working at a print shop in Tampa, Florida and this old black man came strolling through the door with a bunch of old black and white picture and he asked me if I could reprint them and enlarge them for him. I started looking at all of the pictures and noticed he was a runner and asked him who was in the pictures. He said it was him, then proceeded to tell me his story. I was so shocked and amazed. He told me about going to the Olympics in Germany and how he kept winning medals and Hitler didn't like it and left. Wow! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He obviously died shortly after that. The world is a better place for having him in it.

Add your comments

Name

Comments

Human check: please fill in the answer below...
1,2,3,4,5,6,,8,9,10

Copyright by The MY HERO Project

©2013 The My Hero Project, Inc. All rights reserved. Technical errors or questions? support@myheroproject.org

.
Support Us