My Soul Looks Back in Wonder: Voices of the Civil Rights Experience

By Juan Williams, Marian Wright Edelman (Afterword), David Halberstam (Foreword by)

Publisher: Sterling Publishing, May 2004
ISBN: 9781402714153
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.

Synopsis
Deeply personal in tone, My Soul Looks Back in Wonder presents stirring, thought-provoking, eyewitness accounts from people who played active roles in the civil rights movement over the past 50 years. All the narratives are drawn from AARP's Voices of Civil Rights project.

Unlike other books that merely retell a familiar tale, this volume showcases stories of personal transformation that bring a pivotal moment in American history vividly alive. It isn't just about the past; although the terrible age of segregation is covered, the powerful words and intimate experiences that unfold on every page reveal just how much the civil rights revolution remains a vital force today. Every speaker makes clear that the struggle for equality must continue now, and into the future.

The various individuals who offer their unique perspectives come from every age group, and from a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds. Taken together, their tales create a fresh, intimate view of history in the making and reveal just how much the battle for civil rights touched the lives of every American in the most profound way.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews