The MY HERO Project | Library

Porgy

By Dubose Bose Heyward, Dorothy Heyward (Foreword by)

Publisher: University Press of Mississippi, April 2001
ISBN: 9781578063567
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Synopsis
"This novel is the story of Porgy, a crippled street-beggar in the black tenement. Unwashed and unwanted, he lives just on the edge of subsistence and trusts his fate to the gods and chance. His one shining moment is his pursuit of Bess, whom he wins and then loses during one summer of passion and violence." "The fictional characters of Porgy, Bess, Black Maria, Sportin'' Life, and the other Gullah denizens of Catfish Row have attained a mythic status and have become inextricably identified with Charleston." "This story by DuBose Heyward is, of course, the origin of George Gershwin''s acclaimed folk opera Porgy and Bess. Heyward created Porgy with such sympathy, honesty, and insight that Porgy has ascended into the pantheon of the universal." "Porgy, published in 1925, proved to be on the leading edge of the great southern renaissance, in which works by William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, and others would depict black characters of increasingly emotional and psychological complexity."--BOOK JACKET.
Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews