Aaron Copland: The Life and Work of an Uncommon Man

By Howard Pollack

Publisher: University of Illinois Press, March 2000
ISBN: 0252069005
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
Synopsis
A candid and fascinating portrait of the American composer. The son of Russian-Jewish immigrants, Aaron Copland (1900-1990) became one of America''s most beloved and esteemed composers. His work, which includes Fanfare for the Common Man, A Lincoln Portrait, and Appalachian Spring, has been honored by a huge following of devoted listeners. But the full richness of Copland''s life and accomplishments has never, until now, been documented or understood. Howard Pollack''s meticulously researched and engrossing biography explores the symphony of Copland''s life: his childhood in Brooklyn; his homosexuality; Paris in the early 1920s; the Alfred Stieglitz circle; his experimentation with jazz; the communist witch trials; Hollywood in the forties; public disappointment with his later, intellectual work; and his struggle with Alzheimer''s disease. Furthermore, Pollack presents informed discussions of Copland''s music, explaining and clarifying its newness and originality, its aesthetic and social aspects, its distinctive and enduring personality.
Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews