Celebrating the best of humanity, one story at a time.
Visit our Facebook Visit our Twitter

Granddaddy''s Turn: A Journey to the Ballot Box
by Michael S. Bandy and Eric Stein

Illustrator: James E. Ransome
Publisher: Candlewick (July 14, 2015)
ISBN: 0763665932

MY HERO recommends this book to children readers.

Based on the true story of one family’s struggle for voting rights in the civil rights–era South, this moving tale shines an emotional spotlight on a dark facet of U.S. history. Life on the farm with Granddaddy is full of hard work, but despite all the chores, Granddaddy always makes time for play, especially fishing trips. Even when there isn’t a bite to catch, he reminds young Michael that it takes patience to get what’s coming to you. One morning, when Granddaddy heads into town in his fancy suit, Michael knows that something very special must be happening?—?and sure enough, everyone is lined up at the town hall! For the very first time, Granddaddy is allowed to vote, and he couldn’t be more proud. But can Michael be patient when it seems that justice just can’t come soon enough? This powerful and touching true-life story shares one boy’s perspective of growing up in the segregated South, while beautiful illustrations depict the rural setting in tender detail.

Purchase this book

Hero(es) associated:
John Lewis by Kathy Crockett My Hero

Add your comments

Name

Comments

Human check: please fill in the answer below...
1,2,3,4,5,6,,8,9,10

Copyright by The MY HERO Project

©2013 The My Hero Project, Inc. All rights reserved. Technical errors or questions? support@myheroproject.org

.
Support Us