The MY HERO Project | Library

Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad

By Ann Petry

Publisher: HarperTrophy; (March 1996)
ISBN: 0064461815
MY HERO recommends this book to children readers.
From the Publisher
Born a slave, Harriet Tubman dreamed of freedom. And through hard work and her willingness to risk everything-including her life-she was able to make that dream come true. But after making her escape, Harriet realized that her own freedom was not enough. So she became a conductor on the Underground Railroad, and devoted her life to helping others make the journey out of bondage. An invisible threat to plantation owners, she served as a symbol of strength and inspiration for her people. She was the legendary "Moses," delivering hundreds from the desert of slavery. With indisputable narrative skill, Ann Petry recreates the life of a woman of great strength, bravery, and unshakeable moral fiber.

Author Biography: Ann Petry is also the author of Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad, a 1955 ALA Notable Childrens Book and a 1955 New York Times Book Review Outstanding Book. She lives in Old Saybrook, CT.

User Reviews:
Nathalia | 5/6/2010 12:28 AM
"Moses of her people" is my hero. Harriet is my inspiration. Thank you for saving me.
andy... | 2/12/2010 5:08 AM
thank you for letting me be free
| 5/7/2009 12:32 PM
Because of people like Harriet Tubman,This is why I am Proud to be African American and, the strong black woman that I am.
Look How far we have come.

Thank you Harriet for being the Strong,Powerful black woman that God set out for you to be.
Kianna in C-ville
jeje | 5/2/2009 7:27 AM
I read her book. This book is sad,happy!
bob | 5/7/2008 9:38 AM
good book!!! 5 stars

Breanna | 3/12/2008 8:09 AM
Well im studying Harriet for my lang class. and it is kinda really interesting. i love it
she was a strong woman
i wish i was that strong
i love the way she helped people even if she didnt know them by name or by their personalities
[♥]DAISY[♥] | 3/6/2008 6:46 AM
HARRIET TUBMAN WAS A VERY GOOD PERSON SHE WAS LIKE A HERO FOR ALL THOSE SLAVES BECAUSE SHE LET ESCAPE WITH HER.SHE THOUGHT ABOUT OTHERS MORE THAN HERSELF AND IF SHE DIDN'T COME TO THIS WORLD THERE COULD'VE BEEN MORE THAN THOUSANDS OF SLAVES KILLED.THANK YOU GOD FOR THIS WONDERFUL PERSON YOU BROUGHT TO THIS WORLD...GOD BLESS HER.

I L♥VE YOU HARRIET TUBMAN
kira | 2/26/2008 12:26 AM
she was the best hero of the underground railroad freedom. also she is my cousin way down the line of the howard family. peace and we love you.
julie jacob | 2/20/2008 2:35 AM
It was a very good book.
samantha | 2/19/2008 4:50 AM
thank you for giving us freedom i know you went through a hard life to give freedom to us
kayla | 2/6/2008 2:13 AM
all black women and men are now out of slavry thanku u so much u go girl u rock
Dimitri Peterson | 1/19/2008 9:19 AM
She was a powerful black woman
alex | 10/10/2007 4:30 PM
i think harriet tubman is a person who risk her life just to free the black slaves in the south
Katherine | 2/24/2007 6:32 AM
I think Harriet Tubman was the best african american hero because she freeed alot of african americans and that was good of her because she riske her life just to get out of slavery becuase she could have been killed thats why shes my rolemoel she has taught me somithing and thats that if you want something you should fight for it
Sahira | 2/15/2007 9:17 AM
THANK YOU MRS.TUBMAN BECAUSE NOW WE NEGROS HAVE FREEDOM.AND WE HAVE MUSIC FROM THE SOUL.THANK YOU
kayla | 1/20/2007 1:30 PM
WE ARE FREE BECAUSE OF YOU HARRIET TUBMAN.THANK YOU
Kenyella Claridy | 2/26/2006 10:48 PM
Thank you, because we have Freedom now.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews