Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Kaitlin from Montvale

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the best civil rights activists of America. While fighting for equality between the races, he helped Americans realize their intolerance. He was a social reformer, an author, a receiver of numerous awards, a parent, and a leader. He fought for justice and freedom for Americans of African descent. In the 39 years he was on this planet, he has changed the way people perceive blacks and has made America a better place.

He wanted to see change. He made speeches about the unfair conditions of which black citizens were treated. Some of the books he wrote were Stride Toward Freedom, The Measure of a Man, and Why We Can’t Wait, which all told about the unjust rights of a black citizen. Like his mentor, Mohandas Gandhi, he believed in expressing your feeling in peaceful ways. He was a non-violent activist who was for social justice and freedom.

One of his most famous speeches was the “I have a dream” speech. This is one of the most recognizable speeches. It took place on the steps of The Lincoln Memorial located in Washington D.C. on August 28, 1963. The speech encouraged Congress to pass a law that would give blacks equal rights. 250,000 people attended the speech. It is said that it is one of the greatest speeches in America’s history.

Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on April 4, 1968. James Earl Ray was the assassin. It was on the 15th Balcony of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee where this deed was committed. Over 300,000 mourners marched through Atlanta with his coffin.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. did a lot of good things in his short life. He helped there be equality between the races, and his accomplishments were extraordinary. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a great speaker, a role-model, and a man who wasn’t afraid to “dream”.