LESSON PLAN

MY HERO Multimedia Ocean Conservation Resources for Elementary Students

Enrich Learning Connected to the UN Sustainability Goal #14 Life Below Water

Ocean Conservation Resources Elementary

Early Elementary Students

The Ocean We Want To Know

Produced by:Macgillivray Freeman Films

One World One Ocean's new animated video celebrates the wonders of the ocean. 

1. What are 3 or more facts that you learned from this video?

2. Create a poster of ocean life. Make sure to label the marine life and plants that live in the ocean.

3. With your family, learn more about: the Great Barrier Reef, islands created by underwater volcanoes, Mariana Trench, or whatever interests you about ocean life.

Perils of Plastic introduces the concept of the detrimental effects of plastic and the need to recycle through animation and music.

The Plastic Perils of The Pacific

Produced by:Brandon & Carlene Strathmann
Pollution is not a species-specific problem.
Laguna Bluebelt Coloring and Activity Book
Credit: Laguna Bluebelt

For Early Elementary Students: Download and print this coloring and activity book to extend elementary student learning about the importance of Kelp as a habitat for marine life. 

Appropriate For All Ages

Students look at this underwater photograph and describe what they see. Be specific about the colors and marine life. This can be done as a writing assignment or students can recreate this photograph in a piece of art. 

Students are encouraged to investigate other underwater life and create an illustration of a healthy ocean ecosystem. 

Untitled

By: Patsee Ober

Patsee Ober uses her underwater camera to illustrate the rich life beneath the surface of the Pacific Ocean.

Upper Elementary Students

Kelp Forests:

Watch the film The Kelp Lady

1. What is a kelp forest and why is it important for ocean health?

2. How does kelp get energy to grow?

3. Students create their own kelp forest using the art medium of their choice. Write a few sentences or a paragraph about your poster. Submit to MY HERO through the Create Program.

The Kelp Lady

Produced by:Anabelle Vo

Students watch the film The Kelp Lady featuring marine biologist Nancy Caruso.

Link to a lesson plan for further exploration of Kelp Forests:

Ecological Interactions and Biodiversity of Kelp Forests Lesson Plan

Marine Protected Areas

Link to Marine Protected Area Lesson Plan. Students learn about human impacts on marine ecosystems using the films below.   

The View Through My Mask

Produced by:Richard Morris
Experience the Ocean through the mask of Dr. Sylvia Earle

Laguna Bluebelt Marine Protected Areas - Excerpt

Produced by:Produced by: Laguna Bluebelt Coalition / Directed by: Jeff Vasquez

The Laguna Bluebelt Coalition brings together organizations and individuals with a common goal of protecting and restoring marine life.

Digital Fishing on Citizen Science Cruise

Produced by:One World One Ocean
Exploring marine Protected Areas and learning about marine science with the Crystal Cove Alliance.

Additional Films Related to Marine Protected Areas

South Coast Marine Protected Areas: Humans and Nature Together

Produced by:Andrew Cohen / Aquarium of the Pacific
Comprehensive and informative look at the significance of Marine Protected Areas.

One World One Ocean

Produced by:MacGillivray Freeman Films
One World One Ocean campaign inspires stewardship of the sea.

Additional MY HERO Environmental Films Organized by Grade Level, Selected Environmental Films by Category and Sylvia Earl Ocean Conservation Award Winning Films from the MY HERO International Film Festival.

ENVIRONMENTAL FILM SELECTIONS by Grade Level

By: Wendy Milette

These films are under 10 minutes and feature environmental heroes fighting to protect our precious planet.

Green Shorts - Select Environmental Films by Category

By: Wendy Milette

View these outstanding environmental films to learn about heroes who are fighting for the health of our planet.

Ocean Heroes - Short Film Screening

By: Wendy Milette

View the finalist films - 2019 Sylvia Earle Ocean Conservation Award!

Additional MY HERO Multimedia Content Related to UN Sustainability Goal #14: Life Below Water

UN Sustainable Development Goal #14 Additional Resource Link
Credit: UN

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Lesson Plan Center

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 3/17/2020 9:42:05 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 3/14/2023 2:48:17 PM by Laura Nietzer