Kathy Eldon

Creative Activist / Author / Producer

Kathy Eldon is a journalist, author, producer, activist and mother to two amazing children, Dan and Amy Eldon-Turteltaub. Her life changed drastically in July of 1993, when her son Dan Eldon, a Reuters photographer was stoned to death in Somalia, Africa by an angry mob reacting to the UN bombing raid on the suspected headquarters of warlord General Aideed. He was 22. Kathy's journey has been shaped by this tragedy and transformed by what she has created in its aftermath. She has turned a personal tragedy that would have broken most people into a life-inspiring lesson for humanity. Kathy and her remarkable daughter Amy, are models of compassion, hope and forgiveness in a world too often filled with hatred, revenge and bitterness.

Inspired by Dan’s life, Kathy and Amy started Creative Visions Foundation to ignite the spark within all of us to make a positive difference. Creative Visions supports Creative Activists, who seek innovative solutions to local and global issues and use Arts and Media to ignite positive change.

Each year Kathy Eldon and Creative Visions presents the Dan Eldon Activist Award at the My Hero Film Festival. This award is given to honor her son, Dan - activist, artist, photo-journalist, changemaker.

Kathy Eldon at MY HERO's Art of Healing Gala April 2023

Kathy Eldon - Art of Healing

Produced by:Wendy Milette
A tribute to the impactful work of Kathy Eldon and her team at Creative Visions.

Kathy Eldon Acceptance Speech

Kathy Eldon's acceptance speech at the Art of Healing Gala, April 29, 2023.

Watch Kathy in the Eva Haller Salon

Eva Haller Salon - Kathy Eldon

Eva Haller

Watch this interview with Kathy talking about Women Transforming Media

Kathy Eldon is a true believer in using creativity to fight for progress. She founded the Creative Visions Foundation in after her son, Dan Eldon, was killed while working as a photojournalist in Somalia. Kathy has dedicated her life to fostering artists and activists to honor Dan's creative spirit.
Watch: Women Transforming Media Interview with Kathy Eldon
Credit: Jeanne Meyers, Xenia Shin

Stories

Kathy Eldon | Women Transforming Media

We talk to Kathy Eldon about her memoir, "In the Heart of Life," and how the tragic death of her son Dan Eldon inspired her to forgive and to carry his creative spark forward by founding Creative Visions Foundation, an agency for creative activism.

Kathy Eldon - Update 2009

By: Wendy Jewell
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." President Theodore 'Teddy' Roosevelt

Dan & Amy Eldon

By: Kathy Eldon
Dan & Amy Eldon are not only Kathy Eldon's children; they are also her heroes. by Kathy Eldon

Short Films

Global Tribe Visit to Robben Island

Producer: Kathy Eldon/Tom McMahon/Co-producer Amy Eldon
Creative Visions is a media organization that seeks to enable individuals to think globally and to act locally, or not so locally, to unite in making positive change for the planet and Her people.

The Art of Life: Dan Eldon in Africa

Produced by:Charles Tsai
A moving film about Dan Eldon, an artist, photojournalist and humanitarian who was killed on assignment in 1993 when he was only 22 years old.

Kathy Eldon Sponsors the Dan Eldon Activist Award

2023 iff cfe eldon 9-1
Credit: myhero

Dan Eldon Art

Africa and AMY

By: Dan Eldon

Double Happiness

By: Dan Eldon

Soweto Cell 5

By: Dan Eldon

Self Portrait by Dan Eldon Africa

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination-Africa

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination- Hands by Dan Eldon

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination-Self Portrait in Soweto Cell 5

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination -Africa Eyes

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination

By: Dan Eldon

The Journey is the Destination Illustration by Dan Eldon

By: Dan Eldon

Creative Visions Foundation

Organizer created on 4/28/2012 1:29:21 PM by Wendy Jewell

Last edited 6/26/2023 3:22:28 PM by Abigail Richardson