High School Stories

Some of our favorite high school essays.

Artist and Musician Heroes

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

By: Austin Chuang
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was the first Russian composer to make a longstanding international impression.

Julian Edwin "Cannonball" Adderley

By: Alec Alcocer
Julian Edwin "Cannonball" Adderley was an American jazz saxophonist who collaborated with trumpeter Miles Davis.

Chadwick Boseman

By: Savonna Andrews
Chadwick Boseman is an American actor best known for his titular role in the groundbreaking Marvel film Black Panther.

Hiromu Arakawa

By: Yunung

Hiromu Arakawa is a self-taught artist who creates juvenile manga.

Robin Williams - Just a Man

By: Jake Conlon
Robin Williams was an actor and comedian, named the funniest person of all time by Business Insider.

Frida Kahlo

By: Chandana Challa
Frida Kahlo was a Mexican painter who created self-portraits that mixed realism and fantasy.

Business and Community Heroes

Julissa Arce

By: Iris Liu
Julissa Acre is a Mexican immigrant and social justice advocate who cofounded the Ascend Educational Fund.

Abdul Satter Edhi

By: Hasan Tariq

Abdul Satter Edhi was a Pakistani humanitarian and philanthropist who founded the Edhi Foundation.

Bill Gates

By: Morgan Antico
Bill Gates is the founder of Microsoft and the co-founder of the charity the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Shen Xin-ling

By: Wenchih Liu
Shen Xin-ling creates computer programs to support education.

Meghan Markle

By: Emily K.
Meghan Markle tackles race and gender as the Duchess of Sussex.

Emma Watson

By: Maryn Imus

Emma Watson is an English actress who created the HeForShe campaign for gender equality.

Explorer Heroes

Peggy Whitson

By: Romeo Gilson
"In 2017, Whitson broke the record for longest time spent in space clocking in 665 days total."

Ada Blackjack

By: Alex Hu
Ada Blackjack survived living alone for two years as a castaway on an island north of Siberia.

Yuri Gagarin

By: Dana Branavets
Yuri Gagarin was the first person to ever journey to outer space, during the Space Race between Russia and the US.

Family Heroes

Angela Bernard

By: Hanah Runyon
Single mother Angela Bernard raised Hanah and was the competitive cheer coach for Hanah's squad.

Mei Hui Huang

By: Amy Chou
Mei Hui Huang raised her children alone after her husband died when daughter Amy was 8.

Eugen Leșanu

By: Leşanu Ecaterina
Ecaterina's brother Eugen Leșanu is a student at the Police Academy, a famous folk dancer, and a Greek warrior fighter.

Tatiana Mihalache

By: Lungu Nicoleta
Nicoleta's great grandmother, Tatiana Mihalache, was deported to Siberia during the Axis Invasion of the Soviet Union.

Austin Armstrong

By: Jenson Armstrong
Jenson looks up to his protective older brother, Austin, who is now a father of two.

Sarah Nabbosa

By: Aidah Birungi
Sarah Nabbosa works hard to support her children and to help those in need.

Freedom and Peacemaker Heroes

The Hero at The Avenue of Eternal Peace

By: Aidan Ly
The "Tank Man" ended martial law at the Tiananmen Square protests by standing his ground in front of the lead tank.

Hyeonseo Lee

By: Eva Gravin
North Korean Hyeonseo Lee hid in China for 10 years before guiding her family and herself to South Korea for asylum.

Claudette Colvin

By: Maya
Claudette Colvin was jailed for refusing to give up her seat on the bus in segregated Montgomery, Alabama.

Lifesaver Heroes:

Chiune and Yukiko Sugihara

By: Jacob from Fredericksburg
Click here to listen to the story

Liviu Librescu

By: Meghan from San Diego
Liviu Librescu was a Virginia Tech teacher who sacrificed his life to save his students.

Daniel Hale Williams III

By: Brandon Collins from San Diego
Daniel Williams finally proved himself as a hero when he trail blazed the way for future African American surgeons, doctors, and nurses by opening the first interracial staff hospital.
Eddie Aikau
By: Jon from Pukalani, Hawaii
Eddie Aikau loved the sea and often risked his life to save others

Science Heroes

Jesse William Lazear

By: Felix from Victoria
Jesse William Lazear confirmed Carlos Finlay hypothesis that mosquitos transmitted yellow fever.

Johannes Kepler

By: Connor from Victoria, Canada
Johannes Kepler was a German astronomer known for his laws of planetary motion.

Temple Grandin

By: Camille from San Diego
Temple Grandin is a professor, doctor of animal science and an autism activist.

Lene Vestergaard Hau

By: Nico from Mission Viejo
Lene Vestergaard Hau is a Danish physicist at Harvard who was able to stop a beam of light.

Sports Heroes

Jesse Owens

By: Brett from Fredericksburg
Jesse Owens defied the odds in running.

Olaf Kolzig

By: Matt from Fredericksburg
Olaf Kolzig is a legendary ice hockey player dedicated to raising awareness about autism.

Mariel (Mia) Hamm

By: Nia from Fredericksburg, Virginia
Mariel (Mia) Hamm has inspired the next generation of women athletes with her talent, her mentoring and her humanitarian work.

Sandy Koufax

By: Jory from Toronto
Sandy Koufax is the youngest player ever to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Women Heroes

Queen Emma

By: Jessica from Pukalani
Queen Emma left a legacy of hospitals and schools for the people of Hawaii.

Bernice Pauahi Bishop

By: Tia from Pukalani
"Surrounded by people, many of whom had come in from the country to advise with her. She would sit for hours with the utmost patience listening to them."

Jane Addams

By: April from San Diego
Jane Addams was a leading reformist and peace advocate.

Katherine Sheppard

By: Kelly from San Diego
Katherine Sheppard is New Zealand's most famous suffragette.

Ellen Lee DeGeneres

By: Joseph from Blue Sky
Ellen Degeneres, born January 26, 1958, is an actress, comedian, and a talk show host.

Writer and Poet Heroes

Mattie Stepanek

By: Hunter from San Diego, California

Edgar Allan Poe

By: Amanda from San Diego
Edgar Allan Poe was a writer and poet who explored psychology and science in his works.

Clive Staples Lewis

By: Gregory from San Diego
Clive Staples Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia series as well many other books.

Terry Pratchett

By: Andrew from Victoria
Terry Pratchett is a celebrated and imaginative writer who is raising awareness of Alzheimer's disease.

Organizer created on 1/3/2015 2:25:35 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 7/23/2019 11:41:10 PM by Shannon Luders-Manuel