LESSON RESOURCE

Resources for Character Education

Teachers: Use MY HERO Multimedia Resources to Explore Character Traits and the Heroes that Demonstrate these Values

CHARACTER Traits
Credit: mh

Character Education through Examples of Heroes Organized for Elementary, Middle and High School Students

COMPASSION is the sympathetic concern for someone else's pain or misfortune, with the desire to help. Learn about compassion through the examples of heroes.

Character Trait: Compassion

COURAGE is the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, and pain without fear. Learn more about courage through the examples of heroes.

Character Trait: Courage

FORGIVENESS is the ability to release feelings of resentment or revenge towards those who have wronged you. Learn about forgiveness through the examples of heroes.

Character Trait: Forgiveness

MY HERO Suggested Video

"How Can Schools Teach Character?" (2017) by Walton Family Foundation

The Character Lab was created to study strategies and practices that build character, to create educational tools from scientific insights, to create new ways to measure character and to change the conversation about character development in K-12 education. In this Innovations in Education video, Character Lab founder Angela Duckworth talks with Walton Family Foundation board chair Carrie Walton Penner about her research and the impact she hopes that it has. Learn more about the Innovations in Education series: http://innovations.education.

KINDNESS is the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. Learn about kindness through the examples of heroes.                                                                 

Character Trait: Kindness

PERSEVERANCE is the tenacity for a singularly important goal in the face of difficulties. Learn about perseverance through the examples of heroes. 

Character Trait: Perseverance

SOCIAL JUSTICE embodies fair and just relations between the individual and society. Learn more about social justice through the examples of heroes. 

Character Trait: Social Justice

MY HERO Suggested Video

"The Science of Character" (2014) by Tiffany Shlain & Let It Ripple Film Studio

Character Resources Curated for College Students

Courage Resources for College Students

By: Laura Nietzer

The quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger and do something even when there is a risk is at the core of the character trait of courage.

Compassion Resources for College Students

By: Laura Nietzer

Caring, giving, and reaching across divides to make life better for someone else is at the core of the character trait of compassion.

Kindness Resources for College Students

By: Laura Nietzer

The quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate is at the core of the character trait of kindness.

Forgiveness Resources for College Students

By: Laura Nietzer
The power to forgive is the power to change the world. These heroes reveal this truth through their actions.

Perseverance Resources for College Students

By: Laura Nietzer

These short films and stories represent heroes who stick with their goals against all odds to accomplish their dreams.

Social Justice Resources for College Students

By: Laura Nietzer
Embodying fair and just relations between the individual and society

Additional Character Lesson Plans & Essay - Join our Discussion

Social Emotional Learning Resource Link
Heroic Virtues Forum
Credit: MY HERO Forum

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Organizer created on 8/13/2016 12:42:11 PM by Becky Miller

Last edited 9/25/2023 1:00:32 PM by Laura Nietzer