International Day of Surfing

Raises awareness about the state of our oceans

Surfrider Foundation:

"This International Surfing Day, salute your favorite beach. Help how you can from volunteering for a beach clean-up to becoming a member or make a donation to support our network. But most importantly, get out and enjoy your favorite beach!"

Bianca Valenti International Day of Surfing

Learn about iconic surfing heroes, who push the limits of what's possible, in the following stories.

Bianca Valenti

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Bianca Valenti is a big wave surfer and a co-founder of the Committee for Equity in Women's Surfing.

Eddie Aikau

By: Mitch Krenz
Eddie Aikau was a Hawaiian surfer and the first-ever lifeguard at Waimea Bay on Oahu. He saved over 500 lives before losing his own during a rescue mission.

Duke Kahanamoku: An Ordinary Man Who Made An Impact

By: Matthew Parsons

Duke Kahanamoku popularized the sport of surfing and risked his life to save others.

Bethany Hamilton

By: Kianna Epp
Bethany Hamilton is a motivational speaker, writer, and professional surfer who survived a shark attack that left her with one arm when she was 13 years old.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Fighting For Women In Big Wave Surfing" (2019) by HuffPost

Bianca Valenti wanted to be a pro surfer since she was 8 years old, and nearly gave up on her dreams forever when she faced gender inequality in the sport. When she discovered big wave surfing, a sport where women were often excluded from competitions, she took her fight to the California Coastal Commission and the World Surf League, landing victories for gender equity that will have ripples throughout the sporting world.

Listen & Read Along

Click on the Listen and Read Along icon in the following stories so you can hear the audio as you read.

Listen and Read Along icon

Great for ESL students and the visually impaired!

Eddie Aikau

By: Jon from Pukalani, Hawaii

Jack Johnson

By: Alex from San Diego

Jack Johnson is a musician and surfer who encourages kids to take care of the environment.

Jon Rose

By: David Kelly

Jon Rose is a surfer who founded Waves for Water, which works on the front-line to provide clean water.

Film

Surfing inspires, heals and empowers activists and individuals across the globe. Enjoy these short videos featuring the power of becoming one with the sea through surfing!

The Sea and Me - Atop

Dominic Joyce
Charlotte Banfield is a world-class para surfer that until a few years ago was completely afraid of water.

Ministry of Surf

By: Keith Reagan
An intimate look inside the healing power of water & surfing on autistic children and the surfers who offer "one perfect day" to kids!

An Ocean of Tea

Grégoire Scherpe
Boujmaa Guilloul, a Moroccan pro windsurfer, talk about his connection with the sea in the country of Essaouira located in Morocco.

The Women and the Waves 2 [Trailer]

“The Women and the Waves 2” is a documentary surf film that celebrates women and their unique approach to surfing and life. The film looks at the state of surfing today from a feminine perspective and features positive role models that give back to people and the planet.

J A Bullard: Surf Cinematographer

Producer: Andy Alison
Andy Alison inherited a treasure trove of surfing history from his grandfather, J. A. Bullard.

ONEY - CHASING THE DREAM [Trailer]

Producer: Karen Donald
We follow Oney’s rise from humble beginnings in the surf-drenched jungles of Lakey Peak to winning comps in Australia and the World Championship Tour.

Surfer's Healing

Produced by:Jack Winter
A non-profit gives autistic children a chance to shine by taking them surfing for the first time!

Laguna Beach Eco Heroes: James Pribram

Producer: The MY HERO Project
James Pribram known as the "Eco Warrior" for his commitment to ocean conservation.

Ride A Wave

Producer: Rocky Romano
Ride a Wave creates special days for kids with special needs.

Art

Clark Little

By: Nick from San Diego

Surf Sunset

By: Riley McMahon, USA

Surf solitude

By: Blakely of Laguna Beach High School

love our ocean

By: Vienca Wan Ka CHAN

External Links

Our Curators

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editors Abigail Richardson and Deborah Neff.

Audio curated by MY HERO Audio director Stu Pearlman. 

Organizer created on 4/2/2017 8:22:29 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 4/19/2024 12:50:00 PM by Abigail Richardson