Xavier Rudd

by Cameron from Warragul, Australia

Xavier Rudd in concert (npr.org)
Xavier Rudd in concert (npr.org)

Xavier Rudd grew up in Torquay, Victoria, near the famous surfing location of Bells Beach. Rudd showed a keen interest in music and learned to play the didgeridoo by practicing on a vacuum cleaner hose. Xavier considers his wife his best friend, a Canadian he met while she was backpacking in Australia. He carries his son's sock with him on tour as something to remember him by.

Xavier Rudd at the Byron Bay Blues Fest 2004 (byron-bay.com/bluesfest04)

He developed a strong reputation for playing live performances at musical festivals and concerts in Australia and then in North America. Xavier Rudd has recorded and released two live albums in Canada - Live In Canada released in 2001 and Live At The Grid in 2003.

Rudd has become a fixture at roots music festivals, including the Falls Festival (2002, 2003 & 2004), Woodford Folk Festival (2003), the East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival (2003 & 2004), the Melbourne International Music Festival (2004) and Womadelaide (2004). He has also worked a lot in North America, including a support slot for Ani DiFranco, a support slot at the Philadelphia Folk Festival, 2 consecutive years at the Cisco Systems Ottawa Bluesfest in Ottawa, Ontario, and a Moonshine benefit at Laguna Beach, California with Jack Johnson and G. Love & Special Sauce. His first studio album, To Let, was released in 2002. Solace was released in Australia on March 28, 2004, and debuted in the top twenty in the Australian album charts. Solace is now available in the U.S.

Xavier Rudd (Xavier Rudd)
Xavier Rudd (Xavier Rudd)

Xavier is a hero to me because he is a strong supporter of the indigenous people and is a great icon for anyone who wants to get started in music.

Xavier Rudd - Check him out.