TEACHER HEROES
from our Guestbook

crayon

Bob from USA

My hero is Robert Hunter. Robert Hunter was my 8th grade P.E teacher. He is a 66 years young teacher who taught me to always try your best and never let what other people say persuade what you think. He is also my hero because he shows me what real courage is.

dictionaryTim from Salinas, CA USA

My hero is Randy Randall. When I think of 'heroes', I think of people who exhibit a goodness in both their professional and personal lives. I think of someone who can face adversity squarely and keep moving forward. And I see heroes as those who handle with humility any blessings and adulation resulting from their efforts. Enter Randy Randall. If Randy was simply a loyal and devoted husband/friend/partner, good father, effective teacher, and successful basketball coach, he could easily classify as a 'hero' to many people. But throw in his courageous, determined battle with cancer for the last four years while holding up his end of the bargain in the aforementioned roles, and--well--you have my hero! Randy is the husband/friend/partner who takes those special foggy-night walks with wife and Monterey County Herald writer Sharon Randall. He has helped raise kids that Sharon seems pleased to include in her columns. He has starred in the classroom where students found his science classes challenging, yet rewarding. And his basketball coaching successes speak on two levels--in his win-loss record and in the respect afforded him by his players and opposing coaches. I can only hope to exhibit half the strength, courage, and integrity Randy has shown through his years on the Monterey Peninsula. And with that, I'd better stop writing and start modeling myself after Randy Randall.

green crayonTisha from Medway, Oh USA

My hero is Mr. Russell Steele. Mr. Steele has been my hero going on... 6 years now. He was my earth science teacher when I entered the 9th grade. He saw the potential that I had and would not let me go until he knew I had reached it. He opened my eyes to a whole new world of knowledge. To this day, that is the reason that I'm studying what I am in college. He took eight of us to New York that summer and showed us the wealth of learning that could be found in places other than the classroom. He also became a friend. He laughed with us and interacted more than I've ever had any teacher do. He was someone you knew you could talk to if there was a problem, and it didn't matter what type of problem. Then, I had the pleasure of having him as a physics teacher and I got to go through the whole "learning experience" again with him. His ways of teaching just inspired me, and made me want to learn. I suppose, beyond his teaching, the reason I've always considered him my HERO is because he is also my friend. And you don't find that often these days. So, it's to him that I give thanks for helping me become who I am and what I want to be.

red crayonDaniella from Tecumseh, Michigan USA

Helen Keller is my personal hero because she was determined and did above and beyond what most of us would never even dream of doing. She taught us not to take advantage of what we have, yet did the best with what she had. I also think that her teacher, Ann, deserves a debt of gratitude because it takes someone with the patience of a saint to be able to teach someone who is blind, dumb, and mute. I think Helen Keller was an extraordinary woman that looked at the world through different eyes and turned what we would say as negative into a positive. For this she is my hero.

dictionaryMrs. Sullivan's Third Grade Class from Syracuse New York

Our hero is Bruce Coville. Bruce Coville was born in Syracuse, New York on May 16, 1950. He grew up around the corner from his grandparents' dairy farm. As a child, he loved Mary Poppins and Dr. Dolittle, and he can remember getting up ahead of everyone else in his family so he could huddle in a chair and read THE VOYAGES OF DR. DOLITTLE. He also read Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, and zillions of comic books. The first time he remembers thinking he would like to be a writer was in sixth grade when his teacher, Mrs. Crandall, gave them an extended period of time to write a long story. He loved doing it, and began to work seriously at becoming a writer when he was seventeen. Like many people, he was not able to start selling his stories right away. He had many other jobs along the way, including toy maker, gravedigger, cookware salesman, and assembly line worker. Eventually he became an elementary teacher, and worked with second and fourth graders. (Note: One of the teachers at our school, Mrs. Lamson, had Mr. Coville as a fourth grade teacher when she was young. Mr. Coville still recognized her after all these years!) Mr. Coville married Katherine Dietz, who was an artist, and they created and sold their first book THE FOOLISH GIANT in 1977. They did 2 other books together: SARAH'S UNICORN and THE MONSTER's RING. There are three children in the family: a son, Orion born in 1970, a daughter, Cara born in 1975, and another son, Adam, born in 1981. Mr. Coville has published 44 books and averages 3,000 letters a year from his readers. Some of his most popular works are scary (and also funny) tales of ghosts and aliens. One critic has dubbed him the "Stephen King of the bubble gum set."

green crayonStu B. from Glendale, OR USA

My heroes are teachers. Every other hero has had a teacher at some time.

crayonRachel from Nashville, TN USA

My hero is Christa McAuliffe. Christa McAuliffe encompased all of the values and ideals that I hope to someday posses and bring into my classroom. As an education major, I hope to touch the lives of my students like Christa touched hers. Ever since I was very young, I have had a fascination with space and space travel. However, my first love still reamined teaching. Because of Christa's example, I now know that I can accomplish both of these dreams. My goal for the future is to one day become the first teacher on a permanent space colony in outer space. I know this sounds far fetched, but my hero, Christa McAuliffe, taught me not to dare to dream. She also taught me that one of the greatest professions in the world is teaching. I live by her words, "I touch the future...I teach. I only hope that I can live up to them.

dictionarySamantha from Bloomfield, New Jersey U.S.A.

Roberta Tzavaras is my hero because she taught music on the violin. I love any kind of music so I think she is a wonderful teacher. All her students are taught to focus on what they are doing. Roberta let children learn how to play an instrument and have fun. I think Roberta is a very gifted person to be able to teach children how to have fun with an instrument.

green crayonAlison from New York City, NY America

One of my heros is Ms.Tehan. Ms.Tehan was my 4th grade teacher. She combined learning with fun. She was one of my favorite teachers. She always smiled and could make the most unhappy day into a a gorgeus one!She understood us(my 4th grade class)all in a certain way. There was never a complaint from the parents.She helped us learn more and at the same time have fun. She always saw the good in people not bad.She aso took us on the best field trips too. She also talked to us as a person and as a teacher at the same time, most teachers never talk to their students unless its about school or their grades not Ms.Tehan she was one you could open up to right away. She really deeply cared for us, which made us feel lucky to have her as our teacher. She also wanted us to express our selves in words so we all kept a journal, which we wrote poems,stories,feelings,about our day, and sometimes personal stuff wich we put on our own private page that she promise not to read. She read our journals sometimes and left notes in them telling us what she thought and how we could improve our writing, we also read our journals in class out loud for people to hear what we wrote. Ms.Tehan I know sounds to good to be true but she is and that is why she is my HERO.

red crayonLisa from Tracy, CA USA

My hero is Mrs. Babra Russlle-Cambra. Mrs. R-C (thats her nickname) might not be considered a hero to most people. Shes my hero because she was my 3rd grade teacher. When we were sharing what we wanted to be when we grew up, I said my dream was to become President. All the boys laughed, but Mrs. R-C stood up for me. She said I could be President if I worked hard enough and if that was what I really wanted to do. After 6 years and retirement we're still friends. Whenever my grades aren't up to her standards (I can get As and Bs) she picks on me. But she helps when I need help. Mrs. R-C is one of the many, but sometimes hard to find, caring people.

dictionaryJay from Chicago, IL USA

My hero is Marva Collins. Mrs. Collins is an accomplished educator who has achieved superstardom. She is warm, intelligent, and determined. Mrs. Collins is a wonderful writer and consultant to several school districts nationwide. Her philosophy of "I won't let you fail" helped me to endure my first year as a teacher. She is active in her community and state. Marva Collins is a true inspiration to me.

green crayonVickie from Nashville, TN usa

My hero is Rhonda Sullivan-Ford. Rhonda Sullivan-Ford is a former student who has been my teaching inspiration for over 15 years. She was and is the most dedicated, diligent person I know. She tells people I helped her as her teacher, but the truth is she would have She recently joined a medical practice and has fulfilled her lifelong dream to be a doctor. She is truly my hero.

crayonCaryn from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho United States

My hero is Dr. William Proser. Dr. Proser was the only teacher in my high school who had enough guts to challenge the minds of his students. He is the one who ultimately inspired me to become an educator.

dictionaryCaroline from Medina, Ohio USA

My hero is Richard Clevidence. Rich is a learning disabilities teacher at our high school. He was injured in a diving accident when he was 18 which left him a quadraplegic. Despite his disability, Rich got both his bachelors and masters degrees in education and has spent over twenty years helping students with learning disabilities at our high school. In addition to teaching, he also has been an assistant coach for our girl's gymnastics team. He is an excellent teacher, a great friend, and someone I consider a hero.

green crayonKelly from Laguna Beach, CA

My hero is my art teacher Cherie Ann Rousseau. She is my hero because she is kind, uplifting, inspiring, humorous, and caring. I have been taking art from Cherie for five years and I have learned a lot of different techniques for art. The accomplishments that Cherie is best known for are teaching children [and adults] different techniques and possibilities for art. Whether it's a private lesson or a group lesson Cherie always makes it special for you. Two hero qualities that Cherie has are that she is warm-hearted and inspiring. We need heroes in our world because without heroes there would be no one to look up to.

red crayonMaria from Dallas, Tx USA

My hero is Coach Jere Thompson. Coach Thompson is one of my son's teachers that I think really cares about his students. Being firm but caring in his approach, he has kept my son from skipping school, failing and all the other juvenile antics and actions that teenager would be inclined to do. I just think that he shouldn't go unnoticed.

Back to Teachers!

Back to MY HERO Home Page!

Visit these other Teacher sites:
December 14, 1997 is Children's Internation Day of Broadcasting
UNICEF sponsors The Convention on the Rights of the Child
Voices of Youth is a forum for teachers and students
The Global SchoolNet Foundation links school kids around the world.
The Giraffe Project features those who "stick their necks out" for the common good.

Written by Lu Stone
Photos courtesy of Mount Holyoke College

Jonathan Kozol vaughn
Architect and teacher Samuel Mockbee built homes for the poor. Ruth Simmons is breaking down barriers in the world of higher education. Louis Braille invented a system of writing and reading used by blind people all over the world. Jonathan Kozol writes about racial inequalities in the education system. Herschel Vaughn conducts an afterschool program that teaches music, discipline, and friendship.
sullivan
Annie Sullivan developed new methods for teaching blind and deaf students. Roberta Tsavaras teaches violin to kids in East Harlem. Robert Wise is a great filmmaker, teacher and mentor. Jackie Melnick teaches music in Massachusetts. Jesse Thyne was a generous soul with a passion for teaching.
Laurel Schmidt Mary Lyon Maria Montessori
Erin Gruwell led her students on a path to freedom. Laurel Schmidt encourages her fifth graders to get involved. Mary Lyon established the U.S.'s first college for women. Maria Montessori developed a new approach to education. Christa McAuliffe was the first teacher to fly in space.
[home] [angels] [animals] [artists] [business] [child] [community] [earthkeepers] [explorers] [faith] [family] [freedom] [hero's hero] [lifesavers] [literary] [peacemakers] [poets] [science] [sports] [teachers] [writers] [news] [directory] [participate] [sponsors] [credits] [Español] [links] [search] [guestbook]
For more information, contact:
MY HERO
1278 Glenneyre #286
Laguna Beach, CA 92651
Fax (949) 376-9540
e-mail: myhero@myhero.com