OPEN VISION YOUTH PROJECT

playing volleyball
playing volleyball

With a vision to the future, the Open Vision Youth Club seeks to join the modern world through access to Information and Communication Technology to help young men and women between the ages of 16 and 30 in their pursuit of education, research and information. To accomplish its mission, the Open Vision Youth Club aims to provide daily lessons on computer usage at the Entebbe Community Center. Information Technology student volunteers will conduct these lessons to enable youth to gain access to the Internet and communicate with the rest of the world. Since a number of women's empowerment groups also meet at the community center, the Open Vision Youth Club plans to reach out to them, as well, with ICT training.

Local Internet service providers like Spacenet - Uganda - email: [email protected] have promised ISP connection to the Open Vision Youth Club. Their support will be of great value in human resource development. As one of the local Internet service providers said, "It's a great idea for these youth to seek ICT exposure and we are looking forward to help in providing Internet service to them because it's through such a way that we can empower our people to increase our market in the country..."

Youth working on a bilboard
Youth working on a bilboard

To become operational, the Open Vision Youth Center requires at least 30 computers to serve approximately 700 young people. The project appeals to the kind and generous people visiting this Web site to help reach this goal. The Open Vision Youth Center is seeking computers with the following specifications: Pentium III/IV with above 100 Mb of RAM and hard disk space of 12-20 Gigabytes with network cards and sound capability.

While technical assistance will be provided by colleagues studying IT, software purchases and computer repairs will be covered through fund-raising activities sponsored by the Open Vision Youth Club.

The Open Vision Youth Club wants to thank the following local heroes who have given support to the project thus far: Mr. KONKONA CHARLES of SPACENET - UGANDA for his cooperation and Mr. BEMBA STANLEY of WEB CITY. The young people that this project champions really appreciate the support of all who can help them realize their dream of creating a local computer lab with Internet access.

welcoming the prime minister of Buganda
welcoming the prime minister of Buganda

GOOD MOTHER, a collage - by DAVID BASASIRA from Uganda OPEN VISION YOUTH PROJECT
GOLD ON THE MOUNTAINS, an original collage - by CHARLES SSONKO from Uganda OPEN VISION YOUTH PROJECT
Read about PHILLY BONGOLE LUTAAYA - who used music to educate people about the threat of AIDS.
This story was written by the members of the OPEN VISION YOUTH PROJECT

View some wonderful works of art created by members of the OPEN VISION YOUTH PROJECT in UGANDA for the MY HERO Virtual Art Gallery including this collage by DAVID BASASIRA.

THE GOOD MOTHER
DAVID BASASIRA

View the movie of the opening of the show African Mosaics from Uganda (MP4 - 16 MB) at the Saddleback College Art Gallery in Mission Viejo, California.
View a demonstration of the Banana Fiber Mosaic Process (Quicktime - 5.7 MB) filmed by Patrick Kiyemba of the Open Vision Youth Project in Uganda.